Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Hoover wilderness - Robinson lakes trailhead

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hoover wilderness - Robinson lakes trailhead
August 13, 2013 08:14AM
Headed out from Robinson lakes trailhead in Mono Village for a 3 night backpacking trip in the Hoover wilderness (Wed-Sat). Camped at Barney, Crown, and Peeler lakes, respectively. On day 2, after hiking from Barney to Crown, my wife and I day hiked up to Mule Pass, and were treated to spectacular views with clouds building over the sierra crest. The following day, my wife and I split off from the group again to hike over Rock Island Pass, and through Kerrick Meadows in Yosemite. Peeler was a bit of a circus on Friday night, but we had a great, semi-secluded, spot on the west end of the lake. There was only one other group the other two nights sharing Barney and Crown with us. Beautiful place!

Aspen grove

Barney Lake

Smoke from nearby wildfire lights up at sunset

Perseid meteor over camp

Crown Point

Emerald pool below Robinson lakes

Marmot of mule pass

Canyon east of mule pass

Yosemite boundary at mule pass

Kettle Peak

Snow Lake

Crown Lake

Peeler Lake

Edited 11 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 09:30AM by redpakotasea.
Re: Hoover - Robinson lakes trailhead
August 13, 2013 08:55AM
Fantastic pictures, bravo! Thanks for posting.
What lake is that in the first photo? Looks like a great spot.
Re: Hoover - Robinson lakes trailhead
August 13, 2013 10:37AM
Thanks! Updated the first post with names/locations...first picture is Barney Lake.
avatar Re: Hoover - Robinson lakes trailhead
August 13, 2013 11:51AM
Brings back great memories of Barney Lake with its great view of Crown Point and being another Sierra Lake with a sandy beach.
August 16, 2013 09:27AM
Here are some maps from our Hoover trip...doesn't add a whole lot since the route was on established trails and pretty self-explanatory, but thought I'd add it anyway (may even confuse things with the color overlays). It should be pretty easy to figure out where we camped (colors change)...and yes, we were over 100 ft from the water! Forgot to turn on the unit on the last day heading out from Peeler until we rounded the north end, so you might notice that the red track doesn't start until then.

Questions welcome. I recently picked up a Garmin etrex30 though in anticipation of doing some xc backpacking...still trying to figure out how to use the basecamp software. Not the most intuitive software ever. :-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 09:34AM by redpakotasea.
August 16, 2013 12:01PM
Wowsa! Those are some great pictures of beautiful areas and the milky way. Thanks for sharing em!
August 18, 2013 08:41AM
Great trip, fantastic pics.

Rare to see puppy pictures in the Sierra, I love it.
August 18, 2013 09:28AM
Looks like a great trip. I would love to check that area out. Thanks for posting.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login