Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: TR: Black Hawk Mountain Emigrant Wilderness

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

TR: Black Hawk Mountain Emigrant Wilderness
August 13, 2013 09:46PM
Quick overnight trip to Emigrant to climb Black Hawk Mountain. We entered at Kennedy Meadows and camped at Lower Lewis Lake before climbing the peak on Sunday morning. Lots of nice granite slabs around the lakes. It's a fun XC hike and can be kept to class 2 with minimal route finding.

Stanislaus Peak on the horizon above Relief Reservoir

Terrain encountered on the way up to Lewis Lakes

West Face of Relief Peak

Lower Lewis Lake, Morning

Lots of granite

Flowers everywhere

Almost there

Tower Peak (?) from the summit

Full set: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjHuAz9A
avatar Re: TR: Black Hawk Mountain Emigrant Wilderness
August 14, 2013 07:05AM
edg-cellent

Good stuff. Have you climbed Granite Dome before?

Thanks for sharing.

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 14, 2013 05:34PM
Nope never been up Granite Dome. I hear there is wreckage from a helicopter crash somewhere up there. Thought about wandering over there from Black Hawk but we got a later start and had hike out and drive back to the Bay Area to deal with.
avatar Re: TR: Black Hawk Mountain Emigrant Wilderness
August 15, 2013 09:37PM
Only been up there once. Buddy of mine had a great idea to dayhike and fish Iceland so
I left the fishing to him and went by Sardella, Upper Lewis, up Granite and back down to
Ridge, Iceland and out. Was glad I wasn't the one driving home that day. smiling smiley
Hadn't heard of any topper crash. Need to get back there.Thanks for the reply.

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 15, 2013 08:20AM
Great! Did Lower Lewis Lake have an easy granite shoreline to enter the water? When I can be picky, I prefer to walk in on granite rather than muddy, grassy shoreline...

Loved the big expanses of granite!

And yah, lots of times, gotta make the call to cut hike short enough so we have enough left for the hike out, drive home to the Bay Area. The mountains aren't going anywhere quickly, gotta get home safely to do it all over again! smiling smiley
August 15, 2013 12:41PM
JustKeepWalking
Great! Did Lower Lewis Lake have an easy granite shoreline to enter the water? When I can be picky, I prefer to walk in on granite rather than muddy, grassy shoreline...

Yep! The entire east side of the lake was granite close to the water. The south end (where we were) even had a 2 foot wide beach! No muddy/grassy shoreline to be found.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2013 12:41PM by edg.
August 15, 2013 09:36AM
Yep, the trip back to the BA is an annoying limiting factor. I need to scheme up a way to just work and live out there...

Thanks for sharing, love the glow on Relief Peak in that shot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login