Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tuolumne and Wawona Water Conservation

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Tuolumne and Wawona Water Conservation
August 17, 2013 07:09PM
The Sierra Nevada is dry. Low winter and spring snow means less water for streams and rivers, including Yosemite’s. In the last week the water level in the South Fork of the Merced dipped below 2 cfs. While there is no stream gauge in the Tuolumne River, observations indicates that the water level is very low. These rivers are the primary water sources for Wawona and Tuolumne Meadows.

The NPS is implementing water conservation measures in order to protect the health of the rivers. A major component of water conservation is education and awareness. We encourage employees and residents to examine their water usage and look for ways to reduce it.

Some key measures we are asking you to do to help us all to conserve water are:
  • Check faucets, toilet, pipes, and other water sources for leaks and have them fixed.
  • Take shorter showers and install water-saving shower heads or flow restrictors.
  • Don‘t let the water run when brushing your teeth or shaving. Use a wash basin.
  • Don’t let the faucet run while preparing food or cleaning, and use your automatic washing-machine only for full loads.
  • Use a broom to clean driveways, sidewalks, and steps, and don’t run the hose while washing your car.
While each of these actions may seem insignificant individually, they can add up to significant water savings. Last summer Wawona residents, employees, and visitors were able to reduce water consumption to the lowest level since 2007.

We thank you for your attention and support as we all address this important issue. Through our combined efforts, we can work to maintain adequate domestic water use while still preserving the ecosystems of Yosemite National Park

- Don Neubacher, on behalf of the Executive Leadership Team

Useful Links:
Wawona Water Conservation Plan http://www.nps.gov/yose/parkmgmt/op_plans.htm
Yosemite hydrology http://www.nps.gov/yose/naturescience/hydrology.htm
Water gauge at Wawona http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryFx?s=smw
avatar Re: Tuolumne and Wawona Water Conservation
September 07, 2013 12:15AM
Water leak is the main concern for shortage of water. When a leak is found it should be reapired immediately and save the water.

water damage south florida
September 07, 2013 03:52PM
Speaking of water, I was surprised at how much there was in SEKI last weekend. I never went over 5 miles without crossing a water source, probably more like 3 or 4. It surprised me given how dry Desolation is.
avatar Re: Tuolumne and Wawona Water Conservation
September 07, 2013 05:48PM
I think sometimes the heaviest monsoon storms are enough to recharge some of the ephemerals. I saw quite a bit of water in SEKI as well in mid-August - storms had been enough apparently (per threads on High Sierra Topix) to cause rock slides on Shepherd Pass Trail. Bubbs Creek was not unreasonable for mid-August, while down lower...Kings River was shockingly low. Another time I had hiked out of Lake Edison in a dry year and saw quite a bit of water in the ephemerals leading into Bear Creek, even while Bear Creek itself was fairly low.
September 07, 2013 09:42PM
We went over Avalanche Pass via Sphinx Creek, up Deadman's Canyon, over Elizabeth Pass, then back to Wolverton via the HST. The driest segment was Moraine Ridge after Avalanche, but that was it. Right when things seemed to get dry, we would find water. I think it's definitely the case that the ephemeral streams get a nice recharge here and there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login