All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Yosemite wildfires and water supply
August 18, 2013 01:48PM
I start a 5-day hike on the Wednesday after Labor Day that will include Sunrise Lakes, Cloud's Rest (I have a permit reserved), Half Dome and Cathedral Lakes and I have a few questions. I've read about some wildfires, do you know if there are any in the Half Dome area? The last time I was up thee the visibility was poor due to local wildfires and I wouldn't want to bother if that was going to be the case again.

I'll be leaving Sunrise Creek and heading to Cathedral Lakes but would like to take the trail parallel to the JMT, Echo Creek Trail. If so then I would be ending my third day at the lower end of this trail and would like to know if there is adequate places to camp there and if the current water levels are okay, does anyone know? Perhaps if anyone has hiked from Lake Merced to Sunrise they might be aware of the campsite options and creek fullness?

Thanks in advance.
avatar Re: Yosemite wildfires and water supply
August 18, 2013 04:32PM
Check out the GP webcam. It's looking good now. I wouldn't hesitate to go.

I really like the area below Dolly Domes.
If you can make it that far... it's "only" about 3.5 miles beyond the Echo Valley Jct.
The other area I like is all around the pond before dropping back down to Echo Valley Tr. Jct.
The pond will have water... and Echo Creek will have plenty of water..
Just don't be too picky.

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Yosemite wildfires and water supply
August 20, 2013 03:40PM
So Bill, are you saying there is no decent camping on the Echo Creek Trail? I ask that question because it would be a good point of distance for me to make camp at the end of my third day, then the next night I will most likely end up at Upper or Lower Cathedral Lake. How steep is Echo Creek Trail?
August 20, 2013 09:30PM
Certainly there are numerous spots which are very nice to camp along Echo Creek & Cathedral Fork of Echo.
I just gave you some of the places I've camped at or would camp at ...
The other place I can recommend is here:
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=37.763268,-119.424305&z=15&t=t4
I haven't camped here but the last time through the Creek was ROARING and there
was some really nice falls and granite in this area.

If you don't want to climb anymore and can add a bit more... this really is sweet spot in my book.
So much so have actually camped here 3 different times:
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=37.748271,-119.437867&z=15&t=t4
I'd be surprised if there wasn't water nearby... Echo Creek is also nearby... but may
be more of a challenge to get to. (the creek flows in a slot canyon in this area from my recollection)
(although was able to get down to the water... been awhile though so ... YMMV)

Take a look at those links ... it's steep in a few spots... but pretty mellow mostly...
Wife and I snowshoed up this trail a few years ago... so it can't be THAT steep... wink

Have fun... hope this helps u some

August 21, 2013 07:18AM
The first spot looks like this in high water (looking north):

Further upstream (after 2nd bridge crossing) I'd poke around here and find some nice kewl granite to plop by booty down on.

And... just for eeeeeek.... here you go:

Have fun

Re: Yosemite wildfires and water supply
August 21, 2013 02:42PM
Wow, Bill, those are awesome pictures, were they taken along the Echo Creek Trail? How far from the junction should I be looking for a campsite?

I see mostly granite camping options but would prefer a dirt/grass place to put my tent, are there also that for an option?
August 21, 2013 03:39PM
Yes those were taken along the Echo Creek trail.

I guess if you want to camp on dirt I'd look around the 2nd bridge... near where the first pix was taken
Which is around this area:
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=37.763268,-119.424305&z=15&t=t4

It's about 1.5 miles to there (the 2nd bridge)... and about 600 ft. gain... all approx.

I don't think there is much around the 1st bridge... It's pretty steep there...

compare what you see to this:

My memory doesn't always work so well... and the pictures don't show it all... so I'm sure you'll find
something you like eventually. wink

Have fun ... off for awhile now... take care and enjoy your time... hope the Rim Fire doesn't have
adverse effect on everyone's upcoming plans...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login