Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: How far into Lyell canyon do I have to go to get a good view of Lyell glacier?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

The title says it all. How far into Lyell canyon do I have to go to get a good view of Lyell glacier?

I just want to keep it under 13-14 miles. I have the Hiking in Yose. book by suzanne swedo, a falcon guide that shows a picture of the glacier in under 11 miles round trip so im assuming its possible.
I guess it depends on what you mean by "good", but I estimate you'd get a good view in about 11 miles one way from Toulumne meadows.
Can also go up many places in Koip/Kuna area via Mono. Further away, but you can get high up.
11 miles 1 way? I meant 13-14 round trip. So if i go about 7 miles in I wont be able to see the glacier?
avatar Re: How far into Lyell canyon do I have to go to get a good view of Lyell glacier?
August 19, 2013 05:29PM
cantwait2getback
The title says it all. How far into Lyell canyon do I have to go to get a good view of Lyell glacier?

I just want to keep it under 13-14 miles. I have the Hiking in Yose. book by suzanne swedo, a falcon guide that shows a picture of the glacier in under 11 miles round trip so im assuming its possible.

How good a view do you want? If you want to get up close it's more like 12 miles one way from TM. You can probably see some of it from further away.

You can get up on some high points near 120 and get an overview but you will be pretty far away. I'm thinking Lenbert Dome offers a view but I don't remember for sure. Chick-on will have the best spots along with pictures and gps tracks.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2013 05:38PM by mrcondron.
Re: How far into Lyell canyon do I have to go to get a good view of Lyell glacier?
August 19, 2013 07:44PM
It seems like once you get past Ireland Creek and the Potter Point "bend" in Lyell Canyon you have a pretty good view, so between 12 and 14 miles r/t should work. That also gets you into camping range if you have the opportunity.

Not my photo, but this appears to be a little farther up the canyon: http://images.summitpost.org/original/335029.JPG
avatar Re: How far into Lyell canyon do I have to go to get a good view of Lyell glacier?
August 19, 2013 09:10PM
Yeah. That's about 8.5 miles up canyon. Here's my version:

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 19, 2013 09:14PM
If you are willing to do a wee bit of climbing ... then you can get away with about 11 miles r/t...
and definitely get a nice view of the glacier... you judge:

You can see the glacier and Lyell from a ridiculous number of places in the park also.

Ok, here you go... right across from Potter Pt. ... maybe 600-800 ft. or so up:

For reference.... looking across to Potter:

Hope this helps. I took those July 4th of 2004 in case you wondering ice-age wise.

Have fun

If you want to see it like this, then yes it is 11-12 miles one way.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/9eel.jpg/]
I really like the idea of going across from potter, and then up 6-800 ft up. That and the spot 8.5 in are good. I think we also might try and wait in line for a permit, although its unlikely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2013 07:55PM by cantwait2getback.
October 28, 2013 07:03AM
So I guess you never were able to go?

As you may or may not know... you can see the glacier and Mt. Lyell from a HUGE number
of locations in the park and even outside the park.

One spot that is actually quite stunning is from Lower Gaylor.

October 28, 2013 07:16AM
Like this:

Turns out you can't really miss this... or at last I couldn't...
Last time wuz there 3 yrs ago I took the same photo... but it was all blurry...

Have fun

I have actually seen it from Lower Gaylor, but wanted to go much closer. My girl is kinda a newbie, so cant really get her out much more than a day hike. We were there during the rim fire, so stuck in valley. We did go down to the Vernal falls pool, and that was new and amazing.

October 29, 2013 09:03AM
From Kuna Crest:

On the glacier:

October 30, 2013 07:17AM
October 30, 2013 10:25AM
Not to cause any consternattion but wasn't Lyell glacier recently demoted to that of an ice field now as it isn't moving anymore?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login