Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Red Peak Pass the Slow Way, Part 2

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Red Peak Pass the Slow Way, Part 2
August 20, 2013 02:00PM
Continuing my trip report at day 5, I continued down the quiet, empty of people, Merced River Canyon.

Stopping at various beaches and swimming holes.

Eventually I found myself at Washburn Lake

and then passing the ranger station, near which I had a pleasant chat with the backcountry ranger, the first person I had spoken since the other side of RP Pass.

Night five was spent at the backpacker camp near the Merced HSC

The next morning, continuing down the Merced River Canyon, I decided to cut up to the John Muir Trail at Echo Canyon.
I had come down the Merced from Merced Lake to LYV last year with a friend, and wanted to change it up.

I found a nice campsite back in the woods near the base of Clouds Rest, so I decided to visit Half Dome(I had the Permit)the next morning.
Morning six was a beautiful clear morning as I headed up the Subdome.

I meet a friendly woman from St. Louis- Kathleen (that her in the Photo), and we chatted our Way up the subdome.
Eighteen or so years ago when I last climbed Half Dome I told myself that if I went up the cables then, I never had to do it again.
So the long and short of it is that I lost the will to go up the cables, deciding that I had already done it and that I would rather go for a swim in the river.

I went back to my campsite, packed it up and headed down to the LYV backpacer camp, and swam in the river

I ran into some woman from Philadephia that I meet on the trail below Merced HSC, and had a lovely social night.

Since I had another day on my permit I spent it hiking around the area

On day nine I finally hiked out at Glacier Point, feeling like I had had a Yosemite Vacation.

More photos (Yikes!) can be found here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lschaaf55/sets/72157634758821082/
avatar Re: Red Peak Pass the Slow Way, Part 2
August 20, 2013 09:12PM
Tanks for Sharon

Nuttin wrong with taking it slow. Nuttin wrong et all.

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 20, 2013 09:48PM
Thanks for sharing. I did almost the exact same trip in late May. It's fun to see it in a different season.
avatar Re: Red Peak Pass the Slow Way, Part 2
August 21, 2013 06:59AM
Torero14
Thanks for sharing. I did almost the exact same trip in late May. It's fun to see it in a different season.

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,66394,66945#msg-66945

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 27, 2013 04:45PM
Interesting to see the area in the spring. Thanks for looking at my pictures.
August 21, 2013 08:05AM
Thanks again, so very much, for posting about your trip! Love to see that area. Never get tired of it. The water looked lovely!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login