Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (71% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: East Creek, Kings Canyon (pics)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar East Creek, Kings Canyon (pics)
August 21, 2013 08:05PM
Last week I camped in the East Creek area of Kings Canyon for a few nights, camping at Lake Reflection, Lake 10750+ near Erickson Crags, and East Lake. Basic report...the weather was beautiful, the gnats were insane as always from Road's End to Sphinx Creek, and there were mosquitoes around East Lake but no mosquito issues either lower or higher.

As for water...driving into Kings Canyon, the incoming streams are either dry or have very little water, and the Kings River is very low. However, in the higher areas the water situation was a bit better. Bubbs Creek was low but not terribly so, some of the ephemerals were flowing into East Creek - at East Lake both Ouzel Creek and the ephemeral to the south were flowing, the ephemeral just a bit north of the East Lake area was also flowing.

As for swimming...I didn't try in Lake 10750+, I lasted about a minute in Lake Reflection (the water was cold enough to cause a headache when I went under), and East Lake...water temperature was very nice but the bottom is pretty weedy, which means places with quick drop-offs are excellent for swimming. I swam along the sandy point just north of the aforementioned ephemeral (which has a quick dropoff) and had a lot of fun.

Pics...I had a good view of Kings Canyon on the climb up Bubbs Creek for probably the first time ever (last time I was in the area there was smoke):

My favorite picture of the trip is this one from Lake Reflection:

A wider view of Lake Reflection:

Erickson Crags:

The outlet creek is an obvious place to gather water, w/ a use path leading to the creek. A word of caution...I saw one of the Sierra's endangered frogs there - they really are tiny. Be careful of them in places like this.

East Lake:

...and...

Hiking above East Lake - the view of the East Creek Valley back towards Erickson Crags:

And a view of East Lake and the peaks around Kearsarge:

The original plan was a bit more ambitious, but I wasn't feeling all that great, and this area was quite spectacular, so I hung out and explored it.

Edit: Meant to continue...

I also got some decent day-use pictures, with reasonably clear looking (but not so healthful) air around Moro Rock:

Giving me this view up towards Kaweah:

On the way out of Kings Canyon the air was also reasonably clear, giving me this view of the confluence of the Middle and South Forks of the Kings:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 08:10PM by ttilley.
August 22, 2013 02:10PM
Nice! More pics from places other than Yosemite!
August 22, 2013 03:00PM
Your Lake Reflection shot is really great! I wish my feet where in it right now!!
August 22, 2013 06:12PM
Going there this coming week. Good to hear the air wasn't too bad and you had water.
avatar Re: East Creek, Kings Canyon (pics)
August 22, 2013 06:27PM
On Saturday (8/10) when I stayed at Grant Grove Cabins before hiking, the air quality was "Moderate" but visibility wasn't good - seemed to be lots of brown and particulates. Sunday (8/11)...terrible visibility at the "Junction" overlook but as you see in the Kings Canyon picture (taken that day) significantly better further in the mountains. Coming out on Saturday (8/17) is when I got the Kings River confluence picture and the Moro Rock pictures, but the air quality was "Unhealthful for Sensitive Persons" - I'm guessing the issue was ozone pollution.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2013 06:29PM by ttilley.
August 23, 2013 06:20AM
ttilley
On Saturday (8/10) when I stayed at Grant Grove Cabins before hiking, the air quality was "Moderate" but visibility wasn't good - seemed to be lots of brown and particulates. Sunday (8/11)...terrible visibility at the "Junction" overlook but as you see in the Kings Canyon picture (taken that day) significantly better further in the mountains. Coming out on Saturday (8/17) is when I got the Kings River confluence picture and the Moro Rock pictures, but the air quality was "Unhealthful for Sensitive Persons" - I'm guessing the issue was ozone pollution.

If I might ask: how's the quality of the cabins overall?

We've thought about staying there before, but I've never heard from anyone who actually has.

Thanks!
August 23, 2013 06:46AM
They're basic lodging, bed's clean, floor is wood, common bathroom/shower facility.
August 23, 2013 07:00AM
I'll be starting at Bubbs, going over Elizabeth Pass, then coming out Giant Forest. Sounds like the fresh air I'm hoping for after weeks of crap air in the Sacramento region may not be as on the table as I hoped.
August 23, 2013 07:06AM
I'd have to think you'd be OK above 8000 feet or so.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login