Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: NY Times video: lessons learned in fighting the 1988 Yellowstone fire

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

NY Times video: lessons learned in fighting the 1988 Yellowstone fire
September 02, 2013 05:44PM
September 02, 2013 08:02PM
Thank you for posting that link. Just watched it. Good to keep perspective. They have had the right idea for a long time, I just hope that the underbrush clearing they've been doing for years now has helped somewhat...
September 03, 2013 06:55AM
Great video. I guess it is more selfish that I was hoping that the fire did not get to White Wolf. I love some of those meadows. I am sure in a few years the fire area will be exploding with new life.
avatar Re: NY Times video: lessons learned in fighting the 1988 Yellowstone fire
September 03, 2013 06:10PM
In the spring of 2014 you will see major new growth. Maybe not the trees so much but a lot of grass and flowers. The sad part is that when a total burn takes place the brush takes hold and is fodder for the next fire. Trees have a tough time coming back but they will. There is an area by the pond on the way to Beehive Meadow that was burnt very badly during the Akerson fire, if I recall correctly, that for many years was just burnt sticks and brush. A few years ago the pine came back in spades and before the Rim Fire they had reaches about 10' tall. After the Rim Fire is out we'll check these places to see how things went.

Old Dude
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login