Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Rim Fire Air Quality Update

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Rim Fire Air Quality Update
September 03, 2013 12:23PM
Yesterday, September 2, 2013
The Rim Fire grew approximately 1,700 acres, to a total size of 232,783 acres. Burnout operations on the northern and southern portions of the fire continued with success through the night. Southwest transport winds returned smoke to the communities northeast of the fire, including Pinecrest, Bear Valley, Markleeville, Minden, Carson City, and the Lake Tahoe Basin, and returned clearer skies to Sonora, the Yosemite Valley, El Portal, and the San Joaquin Valley.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013
Smoke will again have the heaviest impacts to communities to the northeast and in the immediate fire area in the morning hours such as Pinecrest, Bear Valley, Tuolumne City, Markleeville, South Lake Tahoe, Carson City, and Minden. Morning inversions could be stronger and slower to break, but otherwise atmospheric conditions will be very similar to yesterday. All areas should see their best air quality in the afternoon except perhaps Pinecrest. Daytime transport winds will remain southwesterly, reducing impacts to the Yosemite Valley, El Portal, and the San Joaquin Valley.

Wednesday, Spetember 4, 2013
Southwest transport winds and good dispersion conditions will continue today. This should keep air quality in the Yosemite Valley and areas south of the fire in the good to moderate range. Areas north and northeast of the fire, including the Lake Tahoe Basin, and Washoe and Carson valleys will see similar impacts. Communities within the immediate fire area will continue to see smoke from morning inversions.

Long term Outlook
Southwest winds will continue thru Friday, then another period of northwest winds is likely through the weekend and possibly into next week. Smoke production from the Rim fire is still likely by then, so the Yosemite and San Joaquin Valleys could again see air quality impacts
September 03, 2013 04:12PM
Thanks eeek.
avatar Re: Rim Fire Air Quality Update
September 03, 2013 07:06PM
ill be arriving thursday, planned on taking the bus to GP then hike to the valley via panorama trail on saturday, Im wondering, should i try to switch it to friday? That way i have freedom on saturday, the possible smokey day, to roam around and find something to do away from the smoke.
September 03, 2013 07:21PM
There all booked for friday, now im wondering if i should cancel the saturday bus ride up and just do something else all together
September 03, 2013 07:32PM
Can you just wait and see, or is your preferred alternative something that also requires reservation? The forecast will gain greater detail and likelihood (can't say 'certainty'...I headed into Lassen NP this past weekend w/ a 20% chance of t-storms and otherwise mostly clear forecast, got 2 solid hours of rain w/o t-storms Sunday PM, followed by scattered rain all night (no t-storms).
September 03, 2013 07:40PM
I know what ya mean, i was thinking about the refund. Would like to cancel in time for refund, so i guess that means i have til thursday-friday to figure out, just dont wanna be stuck up there, force to hike down, in smoke
September 04, 2013 12:23PM
cantwait2getback

I know what ya mean, i was thinking about the refund. Would like to cancel in time for refund, so i guess that means i have til thursday-friday to figure out, just dont wanna be stuck up there, force to hike down, in smoke

If you're talking about DNC's tour bus/hiker bus to Glacier Point, I would just cancel it now and get a refund, and then rebook it on the morning of the hike (if the skies are clear). Honestly, I've taken DNC's "hiker bus" often to Glacier Point through the years – even on busy summer weekend days – and I have never had a problem of obtaining a ticket for it from the Yosemite Lodge tour desk even two hours prior to its scheduled departure time. Never thought of having to obtain an advance reservation for it.

avatar Rim Fire Air Quality Update
September 05, 2013 01:30PM
Air Quality Report
Rim Fire, Stanislaus National Forest

Yesterday, September 4, 2013
Minimal growth was reported on the Rim Fire , the estimated total size remains 237,341 acres. Smoke under the inversion cleared by around noon in most areas. Southwest transport winds returned smoke to communities northeast of the fire, including Pinecrest, Bear Valley, Markleeville, Minden, Carson City, and the Lake Tahoe Basin. Smoke from the Rim Fire did not impact the Yosemite and San Joaquin Valleys.

Thursday, September 5, 2013
Conditions this morning are about the same as yesterday. A fairly strong inversion once again brought smoke into communities as far downslope of the fire as Sonora and Columbia with about the same intensity. The heaviest morning smoke impacts are in communities to the northeast and in the immediate fire area such as Pinecrest, Bear Valley, Tuolumne City, Markleeville, Carson City, and Minden. This morning’s inversion should break around or a little before noon. All areas should see their best air quality in the afternoon. Daytime transport winds will remain southwesterly, keeping smoke out of the Yosemite Valley, El Portal, and the San Joaquin Valley. Nighttime impacts similar to yesterday are likely for Carson City and Minden, continuing into Friday morning.

Friday, September 6, 2013
The morning inversion is forecast to be the strongest yet for the week, likely to persist until early afternoon and cause smoke impacts in communities within the immediate fire area and as far south and west of the fire as Mariposa, La Grange, Greeley Hill, Columbia, and Sonora. Southwest transport winds and fair dispersion conditions will continue the rest of the day. This should keep air quality in the Yosemite Valley in the good range, and return areas south and west of the fire to better air quality by mid-afternoon. Areas north and northeast of the fire, including the Lake Tahoe Basin, and Washoe and Carson valleys will see early morning impacts, clearing in the afternoon, and possibly returning with lighter impacts in the nighttime hours if winds swing more to the west-southwest for a time.

Long term Outlook
Southwest winds continue but weaken considerably Saturday, providing poor transport of smoke out of the fire area. More pronounced downslope winds in the evening and nighttime will settle this smoke back into the foothills and central valley. Morning smoke impacts, lasting into the early afternoon are possible for central valley communities east of Hwy. 99 and as far north as Hwy 80 through the weekend. It looks, at this time, like the Yosemite and San Joaquin Valleys will see only minimal air quality impacts through the weekend
September 03, 2013 08:39PM
Yup. I have a weeks worth of reservations at Tuolumne, May lake, Glen Aulin for eight (8) people starting on Friday. Group is deciding who is in or out prior to the reservation deadline... Sad it might not happen.
September 03, 2013 08:48PM
Same here. Was going to do the GCT again with a buddy. We decided, given other work factors as well, to just postpone. Bummer.
September 04, 2013 09:41AM
For what it's worth: forecast for Lake Tahoe starting Friday through the weekend is for clear skies; that is, no smoke. The wind is supposed to change--good for Tahoe, bad for Yosemite. Areas of smoke at Tahoe until then.

Since we're past Labor Day it may be easy to get wilderness permits.
September 04, 2013 04:49PM
What would you guys do. Go or cancel. trip plans are leave tomorrow (thureday 9/5) at 3 am, arrive before 10 am. staying until sunday.. Site is in the valley at lower pines. Is there any way to tell how bad the smoke will be? My friend went last fri-sun and said half the time was smokey, the other half was good and the park was empty....im so torn
September 04, 2013 05:31PM
I would go to Yosemite, but as I mentioned in my previous post, cancel your reservation on the DNC hikers bus for a full refund.

I don't see any reason why you need to reserve a spot on the bus since I'm very confident you'll be able to purchase tickets for that bus on the morning of your scheduled hike (if you find the weather/smoke conditions pleasant enough).

I'm sure that many scheduled visitors have cancelled their trips to Yosemite due to the smoke from the Rim fire so one shouldn't have to worry about Yosemite being crowded and having the DNC bus to Glacier Point all sold out.

September 04, 2013 11:07PM
There weren't too many people this past weekend, almost like it is during the week in October.
September 08, 2013 04:59PM
Very happy I went. No smoke til sunday morning, on out way out. Photos here
September 04, 2013 11:15PM
I was supposed to be guiding a trip from May Lake to Glen Aulin and back to Tuolumne. Sad to see it go. Wilderness rangers do not recommend travel in that area. Was thinking of re-locating to southern part of park, but with winds forecast to change seems I'll be canceling the whole thing. Glad I got out in the park earlier this season...
September 05, 2013 07:47AM
Exactly where I am heading on Saturday (May Lake)... Will be at Tuolumne on Friday night.... Ugh.
September 05, 2013 12:11PM
Where did you get the information regarding the future outlook?
September 08, 2013 06:24PM
Where did you get the information regarding the future outlook?

Noaa weather report. I also check Weather channel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login