Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Thank you guys for this forum!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Thank you guys for this forum!
September 14, 2013 04:59AM
For many years when I first moved to California from the Midwest I did over a hundred day hikes - with my kids when the were little who are now out of college or in it. Couple years back did my first backpack and find that one of my favorite places in the world is addictive and just draws me back wanting to see more. Couple weeks back did a week long hike on my own, last weekend amazing hike with my wife to Sunrise then Clouds Rest. We were tired coming down Sunday breathing smoke and I told myself "last hike this year". Then early yesterday morning maps were out and started thinking need a few more overnights...probably around Tuolumne and then thought I have to stay overnight in the valley when the snow hits just to see that....This forum is a wealth of advice from the pros here and has got to be one of the most valuable helpful websites I have ever encountered. Just wanted to pass on my appreciation and thanks to all. Its only made my addiction worse ....and that is good.

Ted
September 14, 2013 03:16PM
Wow! Thank you for writing this! Hopefully it'll warm some hearts, including a couple of wacky birds I know! I haven't been involved on a site in years... This one is definitely special.

I, for one, am looking forward to fall. Days may be a bit shorter, bit the lighting and temps are great. Lovely hiking weather! And depending on conditions, great backpacking still to be had!

And when the snow starts, snowshoeing and XC skiing! No need to say "last trip"!

Enjoy!
September 14, 2013 03:42PM
If I lived closer, I'm in Reno, i'd live in the park. This site is a wealth of information & a lot of dedicated hikers post their stories here, all of them truly gifts to all of us. Now, if I could just find a way to get employment in the park :-)
avatar Re: Thank you guys for this forum!
September 14, 2013 05:16PM
I LOVE THIS SITE
September 14, 2013 10:21PM
While I can no longer backpack, this is my favorite Yosemite site because of the great people here, the great advice they give and their willingness to post their trips and pictures. Through them, I get to see places that I will never be able to hike to. Plus there is all of the other interesting threads about old roads and trails, animals and all other kinds of things that make this site so interesting. Plus, one can never hear too much about Yosemite. smiling smiley
September 17, 2013 07:48AM
Bowing to his greatness

Much Tanks to the peeps who post.

And Mr. Ted... I don't even bring a pocket knife for protection.
The Mtn. Lion is right there along with The Rattlesnake ...
(every time it comes up ... it the same ol story)
You are in FAAAAAAAAAAAR greater danger driving to and from
the park than in the park.
As I tell the wife when I leave for a solo jaunt.... I tell HER to
"be safe" and "don't do anything tooooo stupid".... and she
tells me the same.

Have fun and try not to hike in fear

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 17, 2013 09:38AM
chick-on
Bowing to his greatness

Much Tanks to the peeps who post.

And Mr. Ted... I don't even bring a pocket knife for protection.
The Mtn. Lion is right there along with The Rattlesnake ...
(every time it comes up ... it the same ol story)
You are in FAAAAAAAAAAAR greater danger driving to and from
the park than in the park.
As I tell the wife when I leave for a solo jaunt.... I tell HER to
"be safe" and "don't do anything tooooo stupid".... and she
tells me the same.

Have fun and try not to hike in fear

Exactly.

Happily enough, we have seen both a rattlesnake and a bear on our trips this year. Both were moving away from us, and we let them do that. The bear was startled by me as I came over a rise in the trail, and took off for the other side of the mountain at about 35 miles an hour.

Really.

Through the woods.

Amazingly fast, and so big that I could hear (and possibly feel) its feet hitting the ground as it ran.

Have fun, And continue to enjoy these forums. They are full of great people who are posting their adventures!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
September 17, 2013 10:32AM
I'd like to echo your sentiments. I'm from the midwest (and still live there) and use this site as a resource for planning trips, to daydream and to hear news regarding Yosemite and other parks. I'm very thankful to the people who run it and those that contribute to it; the amount of wisdom and information being shared on here is amazing.

I used to be a very frequent visitor and somewhat frequent poster, but my focus on parks was dereailed during the past year or so because of a rough patch followed by a crammed schedule. Planning trips to Yosemite and other parks has fallen by the wayside. I'm currently working to simplify and slow down my life and get back to planning some visits. I know that when I'm ready to start planning again, the wonderful folks here will be there to help.

So again, thanks to all the people that contribute and to those that run the site! I'm glad other people share the same feelings.
September 17, 2013 08:01PM
Not only is this a great site for backpackers, but also for people camping in the Valley. From Dec. through the spring there are questions and very helpful answers on this site about securing Valley campsites for the spring and summer. And this site was very instrumental in limiting and hopefully eliminating the reserving and then selling at a profit campsites in the Valley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2013 08:55AM by mtn man.
September 17, 2013 09:46PM
mtn man
...and this site was very instrumental in limiting and hopefully eliminating people who were reserving and then selling at a profit campsites in the Valley.
I am also very appreciative of these efforts! Thanks again to all of you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login