Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

State Route 120 (Tioga Road) Reopens

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

September 14, 2013 12:58PM
The Tioga Road (Highway 120 through the park) is open. All facilities and areas along the Tioga Road west of the White Wolf junction are closed, including the Tuolumne Grove, Tamarack Flat campground, and the White Wolf lodge and campground. Yosemite Creek campground is closed for the season.
avatar State Route 120 (Tioga Road) Reopens
September 14, 2013 01:01PM
Tioga Road opens to through traffic at Noon on Saturday, September 14

SR-120 (Tioga Road) which had been closed from Crane Flat to White Wolf, within Yosemite National Park, will reopen to all vehicular traffic at noon, Saturday, September 14, 2013.

Visitors will have access to Yosemite Valley from Highway 395 via SR-120. However, due to continued fire activity in the area, stopping along the roadway is strictly prohibited. The public is advised to use extreme caution as firefighting activities continue in the area and visibility may be reduced due to smoke. For current road conditions in the park visit: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/traffic.htm.

Current road conditions can also be found at Caltrans' website: www.dot.ca.gov/ or by calling Caltrans District 10 Public Affairs Office at (209) 948-7977.

The area burned by the Rim Fire within Yosemite National Park remains closed due to hazardous conditions.

Rim Fire Stanislaus National Forest closures remain in effect. For forest closure information visit www.fs.usda.gov/stanislaus
avatar Re: State Route 120 (Tioga Road) Reopens
September 15, 2013 11:46PM
1) Today (Sunday) the radio 1610 broadcasts around the 108/120 split were still saying that the Tioga Road was closed while "120" was open into Yosemite.

2) I was coming back from Mammoth Sunday, and the signage on the east side simply said Tioga Pass Open. Which was useless, Tioga Pass has been open since mid-May, I wanted to know about the Tioga Road through the park. So I needlessly drove up to 108.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2013 11:47PM by ttilley.
avatar Re: State Route 120 (Tioga Road) Reopens
September 16, 2013 09:56AM
ttilley

2) I was coming back from Mammoth Sunday, and the signage on the east side simply said Tioga Pass Open. Which was useless, Tioga Pass has been open since mid-May, I wanted to know about the Tioga Road through the park. So I needlessly drove up to 108.

If the future, for road conditions information inside Yosemite, call the park itself. It has a recording that's updated anytime road conditions change within Yosemite National Park. (Caltrans usually doesn't provide this detailed information.)

The phone number to get current road condition status within Yosemite National Park is: (209) 372-0200, then press 1, then press 1 again for current road information.

The current message states that Tioga Road is open but with the restrictions of no-stopping and a 25 MPH speed limit between Crane Flat and White Wolf.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2013 09:57AM by plawrence.
Re: State Route 120 (Tioga Road) Reopens
September 16, 2013 07:54PM
ttilley

Equally odd for us was to be headed down 395 and into Tuolumne Meadows on Friday with the "Tioga Pass Closed" signs displayed and full knowledge that we could reach our destination for a very rare, glorious, uncrowded end to the season. TM Lodge and campground were only partially filled and the meadow was vacant! When the road opened mid-day Saturday, traffic increased somewhat but most people were probably resigned to not getting through. Smoke conditions were surprisingly mild and Sunday in TM was beautiful, like Yosemite is supposed to be ;^)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login