Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Garnet Lake (pics)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

September 16, 2013 07:40PM
I spent the weekend at Garnet Lake, hiking in on the River Trail and out via Shadow Lake.

Trail conditions: Everything from the blowdown has been cleared from the trail - the Agnew Meadow Campground is still closed, and the trailhead water is shut off. The blowdown damage was mostly in the first half mile or so from the trailhead.

Swimming: Garnet Lake is cold by my standards, but still swimmable, and I had a nice time. I was camped near a small island (of which Garnet has many), which made for especially nice (if chilly) swimming.

Pics...sunrise at Garnet:

Later in the day (Sunday)...

Saturday evening sunbeams (no t-storms, but it sprinkled around dusk for about 30 minutes):

A view from the top of the Garnet/Shadow divide:

The Minarets, and Shadow Creek valley:

Shadow Lake:

Red Cedar, enjoying the view...

September 16, 2013 08:22PM
Nice pictures. I especially like the one of the cedar.
September 16, 2013 08:24PM
Wowza! Great shots! Love love love the sunbeams!!!

Thanks for the trail conditions update. Haven't been in the area since 2010... Lovely!

An aside: I wonder what I would have thought of the water temp? I should start using a thermometer to get an idea of what my feet like
vs what I'll swim in. I like it cold, in general... But I like icy cold for my feet: I-can't-swim-in-it-cold!
September 16, 2013 09:58PM
Great shots indeed! Swam at Glen Aulin HSC last Monday. Bitter cold, but 'refreshing'...

JustKeepWalking
Wowza! Great shots! Love love love the sunbeams!!!

Thanks for the trail conditions update. Haven't been in the area since 2010... Lovely!

An aside: I wonder what I would have thought of the water temp? I should start using a thermometer to get an idea of what my feet like
vs what I'll swim in. I like it cold, in general... But I like icy cold for my feet: I-can't-swim-in-it-cold!
September 17, 2013 05:23PM
Always great to see pictures from the Ritter range. It looks like a bit of Fall color in the Cedar shot. Any info on Fall color around Mammoth?
Here is a good sight for Fall color updates.
http://www.californiafallcolor.com/

Looks like Rock Creek and Bishop are starting up.
Bishop Fall color report:
http://www.kcet.org/living/travel/socal_wanderer/fall-color/fall-color-moving-fast-in-bishop-creek-canyon.html
September 17, 2013 05:53PM
I was seeing pockets of fall color in the driest locations - ridge-sides as you note. Nothing yet in more typical exposures.

Here's another view of the valley, taken higher up than the Red Cedar photo, which shows the color better (in part because I had to remove a lot of contrast to make the red cedar stand out properly):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2013 05:54PM by ttilley.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login