Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Swimming under Vernal Falls

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Swimming under Vernal Falls
September 17, 2013 08:52PM
I know a lot of you think its dangerous, stupid, or plain senseless to swim under vernal falls, but after making the very short detour down there, I couldnt resist. There is also a 15 foot rock jump. Just be smart, safe, aware of your surroundings, and extremely cautious, and its all in a days fun. Although I dont know about the one guy climbing the slick rock directly below the falls, that is some.thing I would not do (see second to last photo for him). I will say I did see some people who appeared to have thought they were swimming in their backyard. They seemed to have no care of their surroundings, freely climbing, jumping, and swimming wherever. I saw kids maybe 9 or 10 swimming alone, with no supervision....Again just be smart, safe, aware of your surroundings, and extremely cautious. This is the only time you can get down here.

In absolute awe

Rock jump to the right of photo

Guy swimming toward the fall...

He went over another 20 feet or so, directly below the falls. His head was red from the water hitting him afterward

There at least 30-50 people who stopped down there, lucky I was tucked away from most of them, so there were probably more, a lot more I did not see.

avatar Re: Swimming under Vernal Falls
September 17, 2013 09:29PM
The pictures are beautiful and inviting.

I have done far worse, but that was when I was younger and oblivious to my impending mortality.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2013 09:30PM by Bee.
September 17, 2013 09:32PM
I was going to note, that we've all probably done much more dangerous things. It was rather safe actually.
September 18, 2013 10:32PM
I haven't noticed much wood or other debris going over Vernal Fall. If there ever were any, though, I wouldn't want to be under it when it came down. anvil
September 18, 2013 11:46PM
gophersnake

I haven't noticed much wood or other debris going over Vernal Fall. If there ever were any, though, I wouldn't want to be under it when it came down. anvil

That's more likely to occur after a winter storm (or other high wind events) or other periods of high water flow (like during the annual spring runoff).

It's less likely during the late summer, early autumn timeframe when the water flow is minimal and wind storms infrequent.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login