Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tuolumne Grove Road and Parking Access

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Tuolumne Grove Road and Parking Access
September 25, 2013 10:58AM
Due to the Rim Fire and the current conditions associated with falling snags, smoldering hazards and general safety, the Tuolumne Grove Road and Parking area are closed until further notice. This will be a long term closure for all visitors and personnel. This closure extends from the lower section of the road in Hodgdon to the Grove Parking at Crane Flat.
avatar Re: Tuolumne Grove Road and Parking Access
September 25, 2013 11:55AM
Interesting.

Not sure what the Park Service means by "long term"? Months? Years??

I can see it being closed until next spring, but based on the description of the dangers listed above, I wouldn't understand why it would be closed longer than that.

September 25, 2013 12:39PM
I also wonder if there's an alternative winter parking location planned at Crane Flat. This essentially shuts down Tioga Road winter access.
September 25, 2013 05:34PM
Due to the possible fire damage north of Tioga Road, I wouldn't be surprised if the Park Service would prefer minimal access along Tioga Road during winter to avoid visitors wondering in that area where there might be a greater risk than usual of trees or large branches falling down due to snow and wind.

That said, if the Park Service wants to maintain easy access to Tioga Road for winter Nordic activities, they could do so by permitting visitor parking at the Yosemite Institute, or maybe a more expensive option (I know, wishful thinking) of plowing the Tioga Road further in to one of the large pullouts near Tamarack Flat like T2 or T3. I don't think Tioga Road passes through any avalanche zones between Crane Flat and Gin Flat (T3) which would make plowing the road a no-go for safety reasons.

September 25, 2013 07:03PM
ttilley
I also wonder if there's an alternative winter parking location planned at Crane Flat. This essentially shuts down Tioga Road winter access.

The parking area isn't closed. The old road is closed from Hogden to the parking area but does not include the parking area.

Old Dude
September 25, 2013 07:09PM
Thanks!

It was this part of the wording that was confusing:

Eeek quoting NPS
to the Grove Parking at Crane Flat.

so, "to but not including".
September 25, 2013 09:33PM
ttilley
Thanks!

It was this part of the wording that was confusing:

Eeek quoting NPS
to the Grove Parking at Crane Flat.

so, "to but not including".

For me, it was this part of the quote that implied that the grove's parking lot would remain closed until further notice:

“the Tuolumne Grove Road and Parking area are closed until further notice."

September 26, 2013 07:32AM
Hmm...yeah, that was probably where I got the idea.
September 25, 2013 07:42PM
mrcondron
The parking area isn't closed. The old road is closed from Hogden to the parking area but does not include the parking area.
I am pretty sure the "old road" from Hodgden is closed to regular traffic anyway. It's probably closed to hiking. Yesterday the parking lot at the T.Grove was closed. The ranger office there is being used, so it can't be all that bad. I'll look tomorrow to see if the lot is open but the trail to the grove is closed. I think they'd close the parking lot to discourage people from hiking back there anyway.

The road to the Crane Flat Lookout is open.
September 25, 2013 09:20PM
Z Park-on Lot AT Z Grove along Z 120 is closed.

For winter access to Tee-o-ga Road purty sure you can park
at the Gas Station. But you didn't hear it from me.

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 25, 2013 10:00PM
I don't know if I have ever gotten gas at the station, but it sure is a great location for all sorts of ride-sharing, parking, and general pause-and-reconnoitering!

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
September 26, 2013 07:58AM
For those that don't realize or know...

Most of Stanislaus is CLOSED. Along with a large portion of Z Park.

Park info here (along with closure map) (which includes Too-ol-um-eeee Grove)
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/rimfire.htm

Stanislaus info here:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/stanislaus/alerts-notices/?aid=19961

Click on the links and you'll find the maps.

Re: Tuolumne Grove Road and Parking Access
September 26, 2013 09:06AM
Actually, most of the SOUTHERN part of Stanislaus NF is closed. Most of Emigrant Wilderness is still open---including Hyatt Lake and everything north, and east of it. That's a lot of territory.
I confirmed this yesterday with the Summit Ranger Station in Pinecrest.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
September 26, 2013 10:29AM
If you open the link and look at the map you will see that.

The order is effective thru Dec. 31.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login