Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: OCCUPY YOSEMITE!!!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

OCCUPY YOSEMITE!!!
October 04, 2013 10:39AM
If the partial federal governemnt shutdown enters day four, eastern California radio news director Stacey Powells will enter Yosemite National Park, whether it is open open or not.

Public television station KCET reports that Powells plans to organize an "Occupy Yosemite Moment" on Friday afternoon. The road through Tioga Pass leading into the park is open for travel-only purposes during the shutdown, but no stops are permitted. If they can get through the entry station, Powells will stage a sit-in at Tuolumne Meadows, in the eastern section of Yosemite.

"I am outraged at what the Federal Government is doing. Closing our National Parks is absurd and is huritng all of us here in the Eastern Sierra," Powells wrote in a letter the editor on sierrawave.net. "They cannot take away our access to our national parks which are on public lands. They can't use this as a bargaining chip. Isn't that against

More info here.
October 04, 2013 11:06AM
If only I was nearby...

I love the "no stopping" rule. That is hilarious. I was thinking how this would be the perfect time for a Clouds Rest/Half Dome hike even a Tenaya Canyon trek. For that matter, basejumpers should be taking this opportunity.

All you would need is someone willing to drop you off as they slowly roll pass the trailhead--they wouldn't even have to stop!

Maybe someone will go and hang a big banner from the top of Half Dome.
October 04, 2013 11:34AM
This could all be ended in a few minutes if the Republicans would just allow a vote on a clean continuing resolution. Don't blame the "Federal Government. It's not their fault. Put the blame where it belongs; on the extremist, Regressive, Republicans.
October 04, 2013 11:46AM
you left wing, bleeding heart nuts should stop the free handouts to low life scum bags. oh, the federal deficit is at a record high under omama. having fun in afghanistan?
October 04, 2013 12:40PM
Obama has reduced the deficit that the Regressives ran up with their immoral wars. "Bleeding heart"? Damn right. And proud of it. But why do you consider children to be "low life scum bags"?
October 04, 2013 12:53PM
Ohnivy-Drak
you left wing, bleeding heart nuts should stop the free handouts to low life scum bags. oh, the federal deficit is at a record high under omama. having fun in afghanistan?

That was done by Bush, moron.
October 04, 2013 02:31PM
Politics aside, I think both sides could join for civil disobedience of the Occupy Yosemite. The liberals could bring a banner protesting Republican intransigence and Republicans could bring a banner protesting Obama's intransigence. Base Jumpers could be the entertainment. Extra parachutes for those on either side who are particularly unruly.

How about we meet at Noon on Sunday on top of half dome?
October 04, 2013 04:31PM
The problem with that is that Obama is not being "intransigent." He is not negotiating with hostage takers. He is not negotiating with terrorists. When you are right, what's there to negotiate about? There are 535 Congresspersons/Senators. Eighty of them hate the President so much they are willing to ruin the country. This is not about the Affordable Health Care Act. This is about a psychotic hatred of Obama by 15% of Congress.
October 05, 2013 03:05AM
Dave
The problem with that is that Obama is not being "intransigent." He is not negotiating with hostage takers. He is not negotiating with terrorists. When you are right, what's there to negotiate about? There are 535 Congresspersons/Senators. Eighty of them hate the President so much they are willing to ruin the country. This is not about the Affordable Health Care Act. This is about a psychotic hatred of Obama by 15% of Congress.

I am completey clueless about politics, very uninformed, and not particuarly educated, and English, so I am probably not qualified to comment, but, this to me is pretty much exactly what I thought.

But why do those 80 people hate the president so much? Is it a race issue?

From here, it looks like the system is broken, if every year the govenrment budget can be held to ransom like this. Or am I just looking at things from too simple a perspective?

I can't help but think that if you got a bunch of children to look at the problem, they could throw out some interesting solutions, free from the influences of party politics, racisim, and any other negative factors.

Anyway, I haven't seen the news recently - are you guys still all shut down over there? Any idea how long for?

Steve
October 05, 2013 07:26AM
TechieSteve
I am completey clueless about politics, very uninformed, and not particuarly educated, and English, so I am probably not qualified to comment, but, this to me is pretty much exactly what I thought.

They hate anyone on the Left. The Regressive leaders, on the day of Obama's inaguration (at the Caucus Room), got together and swore a pact that they would do all they could to cause Obama to fail. The vitriol and disrespect in their actions is due to racism.

From here, it looks like the system is broken, if every year the govenrment budget can be held to ransom like this. Or am I just looking at things from too simple a perspective?
Kind of, but you certainly are not alone. The system is broken, but when the Republicans were in charge they upped the debt ceiling limit (the amount of money the US is allowed to borrow to meet EXISTING legal obligations) without any debate what so ever. Raising the debt limit does not increase the national debt. But now that a Democrat is president, they use that as a way to throw a wrench into the works.

I can't help but think that if you got a bunch of children to look at the problem, they could throw out some interesting solutions, free from the influences of party politics, racisim, and any other negative factors.
They problably could do better. They would not, like the Regressives, destroy the economy just to make a Democrat look bad.

Anyway, I haven't seen the news recently - are you guys still all shut down over there? Any idea how long for?
At least until the 15th when the government has to pay some bills or go into default.
October 07, 2013 09:36AM
TechieSteve
Dave

Steve

Steve,
I can't speak for the Tea Party obstructionists. Their reasoning is beyond most of us. It only makes sense to the local constituencies that elected them, well, most of the time anyway. As for our politics in general, it's not much different than the back and forth one-liners traded in the House of Parliament or House of Commons (I forget which) where there is a lot of name calling and little accomplished. The primary difference is that our president does not participate in person on the floor like the prime Minister does.
October 08, 2013 08:17AM
The primary difference is that our president does not participate in person on the floor like the prime Minister does.[/quote]

Maybe he should.....
October 04, 2013 08:05PM
chicagocwright
Politics aside, I think both sides could join for civil disobedience of the Occupy Yosemite. The liberals could bring a banner protesting Republican intransigence and Republicans could bring a banner protesting Obama's intransigence. Base Jumpers could be the entertainment. Extra parachutes for those on either side who are particularly unruly.

How about we meet at Noon on Sunday on top of half dome?

Ah yes, the spirit of Thoreau lives on!
October 04, 2013 08:30PM
CBO: Repealing Health Care Reform Would Increase Deficit

Of course, this completely ignores Dave's point which is backed up by actual contemporary reporting.

I'm happy to keep posts here away from politics in the interest of focusing on the outdoors, but not at the expense of being called "you left wing, bleeding heart nuts" by you.
October 04, 2013 09:27PM
Being called a "left wing, bleeding heart nut" was an unnecessary insult, but that's what qualifies as an argument by those on the Right these days.
October 04, 2013 08:10PM
Dave
This could all be ended in a few minutes if the Republicans would just allow a vote on a clean continuing resolution. Don't blame the "Federal Government. It's not their fault. Put the blame where it belongs; on the extremist, Regressive, Republicans.

Thought this article was kind of interesting....

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2013/oct/03/charles-krauthammer-democrats-fueled-this/?opinion=1
October 04, 2013 08:25PM
I couldn't read the article. One has to subscribe first.

The Regressives love to blame Obama. It's their whole reason for living. They love to spread the myth that Obama is responsible for the shut down. Of course, that's an outright lie. Six months ago Democrats started asking the Republicans for a meeting on this very "Continuing Resolution." For six months the Regressives gave no answer. Then, at the last possible moment, they wanted to talk. This was all planned months ago by the Regressives.
October 04, 2013 09:40PM
Dave
I couldn't read the article. One has to subscribe first.

Maybe this will work:

http://www.southernminn.com/owatonna_peoples_press/opinion/guest_columns/article_334aa6e0-45e9-5501-9cbc-59db689f4986.html
October 05, 2013 07:10AM
mtn man
Dave
I couldn't read the article. One has to subscribe first.Maybe this will work:

http://www.southernminn.com/owatonna_peoples_press/opinion/guest_columns/article_334aa6e0-45e9-5501-9cbc-59db689f4986.html
That worked, but the "myths" in the article are all Regressive lies. The whole article is nothing but a bully saying; "You made me hit you." In this case it is the Regressives blaming Obama for their actions.
October 05, 2013 08:57AM
Back to the original topic: Did the Occupy Yosemite ride with a sit-down in Tuolumne Meadows ever come off? How many people were there? Any response from the rangers?
October 05, 2013 09:46AM
October 05, 2013 02:07PM
A quote from the second link above; " It will take place outside the park at the Arch Rock entrance on Highway 140. "

Uh.... the Arch Rock Entrance Station is INSIDE the Park. To be outside the Park they'd have to go to "Parkline" just past the Yosemite View Lodge.

I won't be there. As an employe currently locked out, I think it's best to not attend. I'm not sure of the rules, but my job could be jeopardized.
October 05, 2013 09:54PM
Saw about a dozen at parkline driving in this morning. I too can't be a part of such gatherings but definitely honked going by to show my support! Party lines aside we all and our gateway communities just want to work and share our beautiful home with visitors. It's quite depressing to see this place so empty but the drive in today was smooth sailing for a Saturday! The wildlife are definitely enjoying it...
October 06, 2013 07:19PM
October 08, 2013 08:27AM
Lincoln quote, which applies now to the Republicans:

A highwayman holds a pistol to my ear, and mutters through his teeth, ‘Stand and deliver, or I shall kill you, and then you will be a murderer!’
October 08, 2013 08:27AM
"They are not righteous rebels or principled provocateurs. They are not constitutionalists,

using the ruling framework built by the founders. Just the opposite: they are a militant

fringe of one party in one house of Congress in one branch of government trying to

nullify an established law by extortion. This is not the design of the Constitution."
October 08, 2013 08:28AM
"Do what I want, or I kill the child"
October 08, 2013 08:30AM
So, Imagine that the company you work for held a poll, and asked everyone if they thought it would be a good idea to put a soda machine in the break room. The poll came back, and the majority of your colleagues said “Yes”, indicating that they would like a soda machine. Some said no, but the majority said yes. So, a week later, there’s a soda machine.

Now imagine that Bill in accounting voted against the soda machine. He has a strong hatred for caffeinated soft drinks, thinks they are bad you you, whatever. He campaigns throughout the office to get the machine removed. Well, management decides “OK, we’ll ask again” and again, the majority of people say “Yes, lets keep the soda machine.”

Bill continues to campaign, and management continues to ask the employees, and every time, the answer is in favor of the soda machine. This happens, lets say… 35 times. Eventually, Bill says “OK, I’M NOT PROCESSING PAYROLL ANYMORE UNTIL THE SODA MACHINE IS REMOVED”, so nobody will get paid unless management removes the machine.

What should we do???

Answer: Fire Bill and get someone who will do the f********* job.

Bonus: Bill tells everyone that he was willing to “Negotiate”, to come to a solution where everyone got their payroll checks, but only so long as that negotiation capitulated to his demand to remove the soda machine.

Bill is a f******* jackass.
October 08, 2013 09:12AM
You forgot the part where management required everyone to purchase the sodas (some at a substantially increased price) whether they wanted soda or not. Oh, and also the part where management said we don't really know what will be in the machine, we will need to put it in here in order to find out.
October 08, 2013 11:42AM
shaunsmomo has just introduced the hammer to the nail
October 08, 2013 12:04PM
shaunsmomo
You forgot the part where management required everyone to purchase the sodas (some at a substantially increased price) whether they wanted soda or not.
Of course there will be a few soda deadbeats that refuse to pay their own way.

Oh, and also the part where management said we don't really know what will be in the machine, we will need to put it in here in order to find out.
Which makes no sense. We know exactly what is in the soda machine and you will get to choose which one you like. We also know exactly what is in the AFFORDABLE Care Act; you get to choose from many policies offered by private insurance companies.

You have to remember; Obama care does not exist. It is a farcical strawman made of nothing but lies. The AFFORDABLE Care Act is the law. It was debated for 3 years, signed into law, and challenged over a dozen times by Regressives, withstood 2 Supreme Court challenges. It's time for the losers to stop crying and shut up.

About 10% of the Senate is holding the country hostage with a childish temper tantrum because they did not get their way. They should be exiled, not placated.
October 08, 2013 01:06PM
Dave
Obama care does not exist. It is a farcical strawman made of nothing but lies. The AFFORDABLE Care Act is the law.

I found a little more here about the difference between Obamacare and the Affordable Care Act winking smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx2scvIFGjE
October 08, 2013 01:07PM
shaunsmomo
You forgot the part where management required everyone to purchase the sodas (some at a substantially increased price) whether they wanted soda or not. Oh, and also the part where management said we don't really know what will be in the machine, we will need to put it in here in order to find out.

Simplistically, that makes great sense, and Ken's analogy is fine except soda and medical care are not in the same category. I know, let's all just pay for what we use. I'm tired of paying for schools for other peoples' kids. And highways and parks I don't use. I don't mind paying for sidewalks if they're the ones I use personally, but why would I want to pay for others that are of no use to me? Police, I don't need them, and I don't use jails and prisons, and I hate politicians, so why should I have to pay for their salary? Why should I support a military that's fighting people I have nothing to do with, because someone else thinks they'll be invading my house? If they invade your house, that's your problem, don't expect me to pay for it. Railroads, airports, highways, let the companies who profit from them supply them and then charge us accordingly, according to how much their stockholders think they need to profit that year. Public transportation? Bah, if people can't afford a Mercedes and their own highway, then let them walk.

In fact we don't even need a government, let's all just arm ourselves and hole up in fortresses that we built ourselves, and enjoy real freedom!

Some people are fortunate enough to have paid-for health care, either through an employer or a government job, or they are wealthy enough to pay for it on their own. Did all of them earn that wealth, or are some of them spoiled brats who inherited it or just use their parents money that they inherited, and so on. A guy who does something as useful as throwing a ball through a hoop can certainly pay for his own, but those with less important jobs like growing, planting or harvesting food don't deserve it. The guy who does nothing but shuffle money around all day and produces nothing of any use to anyone can afford his health care, but the guy who builds his house probably can't. A good part of the reason for this is the high cost, not because it really costs that much, but because of lawyers, lawsuits, pharmaceutical companies and their stockholders, and the fact that no one can be a 'country doctor' any more, it's too complicated.

Many of the better governments around the world do provide at least basic health services for their citizens, so it is not unreasonable for some to think that the US should do that. It may not be your opinion, but that's why people banded together for common interest form governments, to provide basics for citizens (which includes many things that even the most radical conservatives consider to be necessary).

The way the affordable health care system is set up, no one will face an economic burden they can't handle. Those who are already 'set', such as politicians, government employees, and those working for large corporations may resent it, or they may just be greedy and not want to contribute to anything that pools funds for the well-being of the population in general. Greed and political rhetoric is the main fact in what's happened now. This is just a means of providing some basic health care to those who can't afford it and do need it. I don't need it...haven't been to a doctor in 30 years, but I don't mind paying for it, because people should have the option of seeing a doctor if they need to, without having their home foreclosed on as a result. Don't worry, you can still drive your Mercedes to the country club where you discuss your stock options, your world won't end. Just tip the valet a little less.

This whole shutdown is a childish tantrum of the "haves" not wanting all those dirty, welfare-collecting hippie drug users who lie around all day drain all the money out of their bank accounts. But in reality it's just real working people who maybe were not born wealthy or didn't have rich parents, didn't win the lottery, were not able to be hired by a major corporation or the government, and who can't even afford to see a doctor because of the bloated nightmare the health care system has become.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
October 08, 2013 06:45PM
Amen! Thanks for your comments. Imagine if the Dems held the country hostage over something like gun control. What would the Republicans say to that?!
October 08, 2013 09:22PM
SierraFan,
This would make a very nice editorial in the local paper; you should send it in.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2013 09:23PM by Bee.
October 08, 2013 09:28AM
October 08, 2013 09:15PM
I am glad to read that people are getting worked up about this nonsense. I walked around today, and all I saw was was the "cell phone zombie shuffle" -- people completely detached from their surroundings, face permanently glued to whatever nonsense is popping up on their g'dam'd 'smart' phone.

I just wrote this somewhere else: As a population, our voting turnout is abysmal; I guess that we are getting what we deserve (and we are putting up with it quite nicely, obediently)

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2013 09:16PM by Bee.
October 08, 2013 10:44PM
Wow!!! Sierrafan hit the nail on the head! Think I'll post that a few places.

The last paragraph could even be changed to "This whole shutdown is a childish tantrum of the "have-a-lots"

I am really sick of billionaires like the Koch bros pouring their excess into convincing young people NOT to enroll in the Affordable Care system, with hopes that doing so will bankrupt the system. Check out this article:

Creepy Obamacare ad hits college campuses
October 10, 2013 07:13AM
I just watched the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7cRsfW0Jv8

Surely nobody falls for that?!

The NHS is much more government doctor than what I believe is being proposed over your way, and yet nobody looks at it like that. Weird.

Steve
October 10, 2013 07:28AM
TechieSteve

The NHS is much more government doctor than what I believe is being proposed over your way, and yet nobody looks at it like that. Weird.

Steve

That was a perfect example of Regressive BS. The "Obamacare" they keep whining about has nothing to do with the Affordable Health Care Act. The ACA is nothing but restrictions on health care insurance companies. I've heard more lies about the ACA than anything else...... but we're off topic.
October 10, 2013 08:06AM
TechieSteve
Steve

Oh yes. The 40% or so of the right wingers that believe President Obama was born in Kenya, had the Hawaii Department of Vital Statistics fake a birth certificate so he could run for president, is a Muslim in christian clothing, is a socialist wanting to destroy the American economy, wants to disarm the population so the government can enslave the citizens etc. do.

Old Dude

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 08:55PM by mrcondron.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login