Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: half dome 10/12... cancelled, alternate ideas

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

half dome 10/12... cancelled, alternate ideas
October 10, 2013 01:49PM
Ive had this trip planned all year.. got a lottery date for the 12th of this month. Seeing as how the parks are closed and this isnt going to happen, im looking for alternate ideas in the area. I'm coming from hollister. Obviously I have my own ideas, but looking for more. Thanks.
avatar Re: half dome 10/12... cancelled, alternate ideas
October 10, 2013 03:27PM
Do you really need to climb something? How about going down instead of up? Murphys has Mercer Caverns and a bunch of wineries. Other caves are close by too. Spelunking and wine tasting in one trip. Not bad.
October 10, 2013 07:02PM
I would head for South Lake Tahoe. There is always plenty of lodging available this time of year, and the mountain trails will still be there, even if the parking areas and toilets are closed.

I just came from a nice hike in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Wonderful Fall colors. The trails in the National Forest were mobbed with people. The parking lot was open, but because of the shutdown, the slot for depositing the parking fee was taped over and the rest rooms were locked. Big deal.
October 11, 2013 06:03AM
South Tahoe is a great idea.

http://www.tahoebackcountry.net/hiking/desolation/tallac.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2013 06:04AM by W7SG.
October 11, 2013 08:06AM
There are plenty of hikes in Emigrant Wilderness, just north of Yosemite, that have some of the same kind of granite---no, not like Half Dome--but wonderful nevertheless.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: half dome 10/12... cancelled, alternate ideas
October 11, 2013 03:55PM
Are you only looking for challenging hikes? I just decided to go up to see the fall colors along 395 between Bishop and Lee Vinning when my Yosemite trip got cancelled. Heading up Sunday for a couple of days. There's probably some available hikes but nothing like half dome.
October 11, 2013 05:36PM
How about Mt. Whitney? The permits that are normally required, and readily available this time of year are shut down. There were rumors of the road Whitney Portal road being closed but it seems as that is not the case.

I haven't seen anything that suggests the Trail is "Closed" but YMMV.

Of course, I am glad I don't live in CA. I would be VERY tempted to do an act of civil disobedience and do a Clouds Rest/Half Dome Hike starting at Tenaya. I've heard the possible fines are steep but I'm not sure how steep. It might be worth it.
October 11, 2013 06:42PM
IIRC, you need a permit to hike Whitney, even as a day hike (in the Whitney Zone). Quota window is the only thing that changes through the year, and that's Nov. 1, I think. If you can't get a permit (which you can't during the shutdown), they can fine you, based on what I've read. Looks like NF land, the fine is up to $100? Up to $500 (?) in a National Park, and you cross into Sequoia National Park at Trail Crest...

Oh, and I read somewhere (here?) that if you already have a permit in hand, you can go for the dates on your permit... but remember, the confirmation letters you get that you "won" the lottery or otherwise reserved a permit (anywhere in NF/NP) are NOT permits - you still have to pick it up a day or two in advance in most places.... so advance reservations didn't really help...

My guess is that Yosemite Valley and Mt. Whitney would be patrolled more...anyone have first-hand knowledge on this?

Please correct me/add to this...
October 11, 2013 10:10PM
I've heard that standard "Your Permit has been cancelled" emails are going out to people who have reservations and are unable to pick up their Whitney permits. So yes indeed, anyone doing the hike would be doing it without a permit.
October 21, 2013 08:58AM
daddy ... where did you end up going?

:-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login