All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Good campspots North Dome, Snow Creek Trail, Mt Watkins?
December 28, 2013 08:28AM
Hi got a new bigger backpack for Christmas and planning out next summer hikes. As part of the North Rim trek, I wanted to ask for advice for camping spots at North Dome, further on along the Snow Creek Trail (e.g. where the trail crosses river), and around Mt. Watkins that I have never been to before. Thanks for any advice or itinerary suggestions.

Ted
avatar Re: Good campspots North Dome, Snow Creek Trail, Mt Watkins?
December 28, 2013 03:51PM
I am partial to views, and have camped on top of North Dome and Mt Watkins...anywhere...just wander around and find a spot you like. Beautiful places and great views, but no water and there isn't much protection if it is windy!
December 29, 2013 07:03AM
Right on top of Watkins is amazing, Chick-On and Old Dood tooke me there. Heading out onto Watkins (just pick any spot):

We camped at this spot:

Which comes with this view:

Just don't camp directly under the tree, it oozes a wicked sticky pitch.

Or, from the Watkins northeast buttress:

P.S. Bearproof is spot on about no water and no wind protection, a storm blew in when we were on top of the northeast buttress and apparently the wind funnels down Tenaya canyon until it hits the flank of Watkins and has nowere to go but up and over the top.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2013 07:07AM by JRinGeorgia.
Re: Good campspots North Dome, Snow Creek Trail, Mt Watkins?
December 29, 2013 07:49AM
Bearproof and JR: THANKS -wow great pics and advice. Never been to Mount Watkins but looks incredible and thanks for water advice. I am looking at Garmin Basecamp on the computer and am wondering if there is a spot off of the trail that leads towards Olmstead that is best to make the trek to Watkins (ie. do you have a waypoint you turn off off or just follow unmarked spot?).

Also for water it looks like I could get some coming from Northdome at 1)Snow creek crossing (and that could be a spot to camp for nearby water) and then get water again at 2) a seasonal creek that crosses the trail that leads from Snow Creek towards Mt. Watkins (stream crosses trail at 7671 feet at N37 47.330 W119 31.664). Then could camp on Watkins with rocks holding tent down (like my crazy night at Lake Vogelsang last August!).

thanks again - cant wait to backpack again! Appreciate the great advice of all the pros here. You guys have opened up a whole new world for me an the family as we get into backpacking.

Ted
December 29, 2013 08:31AM
There's a spring right near the cabin. It should contain water year round.
Bridge at Snow Creek kinda blows. Camp here:
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=37.769476,-119.538353&z=15&t=t4
This area seems to have gotten hugely popular in the last few years.
With good reason.

North of North Dome this area is nice:
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=37.771834,-119.56157&z=14&t=t4

Have fun
(and put further ? like this here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/list.php?17 )

Chick-on is looking at you!
December 29, 2013 08:42AM
If you don't feel like hauling your kit out onto Watkins... the 2nd to last photo here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,63796,63802#msg-63802

that is just a tad off trail just before the drop back down off the watkins saddle heading
towards olmsted. Plan on spending half a day around Watkins playing around... and
make sure you go to both domes. Time well spent.

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Good campspots North Dome, Snow Creek Trail, Mt Watkins?
December 29, 2013 12:01PM
Chick-On: You guys never cease to amaze me with what you know. THANK YOU again. Much appreciated.

Ted
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login