Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Horsetail Fall 2013

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Horsetail Fall 2014
January 26, 2014 05:50PM
I have been thinking about a year to see the horsetail fall in Feb. I bet the fall is not flowing now. I cross my fingers and hope we could get some snow in next a few weeks.
January 26, 2014 09:13PM
There is a possibility for rain this weekend. Don't get your hopes up though.
January 28, 2014 12:49PM
Thursday: Showers. High near 52. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible
Re: Horsetail Fall 2014
January 27, 2014 08:22PM
I will be in the valley on the Feb 9th for two nights, but I think that is too early.
January 27, 2014 08:55PM
hotrod,

I heard the best time was last a couple weeks of Feb. Let us know what you found. Have a nice trip!
January 28, 2014 06:10PM
My trip is a quick family trip, not necessarily for photography or to look for Horsey Tail. It will be my fiance's first time in Yosemite! I am excited to introduce her to the park.
January 28, 2014 08:49PM
Oh, cool. I am sure your fiancé will enjoy this wonderful park.
February 07, 2014 02:00PM
hotrod4x5

I will be in the valley on the Feb 9th for two nights, but I think that is too early.

It's not too early. I've personally seen it lit up on the 10th and 11th of February. Friends of mine of taken photos of it lit up as earth as the 8th.

It's actually at its most "red" during the first part of the three weeks it gets lit up. It's more golden at the end of the three week window. But the light is "right" for a longer period of time during the last two weeks than on the first week (where it might glow for no more than two minutes).

February 06, 2014 08:08PM
Boy, all this snow and rain that has already fallen and the expected snow and rain over the next four or five days has got me making plans to come up for a possible Horsetail firefall sighting. I know it's still early and there isn't much wet stuff above El Cap but it's looking a lot better than a week ago.
February 06, 2014 08:32PM
We can always hope. We are waiting for Badger to open for downhill skiing.
February 08, 2014 09:59AM
I'll agree with plawrence...the falls were the most red in photos that we have taken on Feb 11. But it is hard to compare, as the last couple of years, the falls have been almost nonexistant when we went later in the month.

I think this next weekend will be the perfect time to go...new snow, hopefully some waterfalls and a full moon for those who may want to venture out at night. (not to mention Valentine's Day and watching the Olympics at Curry Pizza. In 2010, they had on curling, though, while we were eating...) Maybe I should change our reservations...?
February 08, 2014 10:58PM
hikechick,

Good to know next weekend is perfect time to go. I am so ready for that...
February 09, 2014 11:44AM
February 09, 2014 01:18PM
eeek, at the end of the video the falls and sky all became golden. That was gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!
February 09, 2014 01:59PM
Note at the end of that video it was still photographs from 2007 (not 2013) that the person shot that he included in his video that he took last year. He's states that on his video.

Here's the link he provides for the still shots he took back in 2007 of Horsetail Fall:

http://yosemitedigitalphoto.smugmug.com/Yosemite/Yosemite-Photos/1196986_fTtD99#!i=132375068&k=wWckPhQ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2014 02:17PM by plawrence.
February 09, 2014 02:25PM
By the way, here's the video I took last year of the Horsetail Fall (on Feb. 14, 2013).

Last year was a very dry year too (almost no water going over the waterfall), but the light was great nevertheless:

(Apologize that my video has no dazzling background music, just the sound
of me crunching around in the snow and zipping and unzipping my camera bag.)

February 09, 2014 05:14PM
Thanks Plawrence. You were right that regardless the it was flowing or not, the light was great. It is amazing that the it only lit such a narrow stripe.
February 14, 2014 08:11PM
I was discussing the possibility of shooting the Horsetail from on top of the South side with a friend of mine and we were wondering what it would look like. I brought up Taft Point, but I told him that you would have to be certifiably insane to shoot around Taft Point when it was covered by snow.

...And then I found this shot by Josh Miller:

Horsetail Falls From Taft Point

It turns out that Taft looks to be a bit too far to the West for the effect, but I sure love how El Cap is lit up and the light off of the snow is amazing. Almost makes me want to risk it for that shot. I saw a couple of shots from Sentinel Dome which look to be a little too far to the East. Maybe from somewhere in the middle?
February 14, 2014 09:51PM
MtSacProf

It turns out that Taft looks to be a bit too far to the West for the effect, but I sure love how El Cap is lit up and the light off of the snow is amazing. Almost makes me want to risk it for that shot. I saw a couple of shots from Sentinel Dome which look to be a little too far to the East. Maybe from somewhere in the middle?

Actually Sentinel Dome is lined up pretty nicely and should work. It's ever so slightly to the east of the line of the known viewpoints on valley floor. If one can find an unobstructed view of Horsetail Fall along (or near) the Pohono Trail about 500' east of where the trail crosses Sentinel Creek, that should work also.

Taft Point is too far west, though.

February 15, 2014 04:23PM
February 15, 2014 05:13PM
Sweet!!!

Thanks for sharing your photos.

February 18, 2014 09:07AM
Wow, these are some excellent photos. Tempting me to go this year. How many days still remain for this year's window?
February 18, 2014 09:11AM
Ohnivy-Drak
Wow, these are some excellent photos. Tempting me to go this year. How many days still remain for this year's window?
Typically till around the 23rd, but that is the "best light." You can probably see some nice light till the end of the month.

Read this http://www.michaelfrye.com/articles/horsetail.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2014 09:13AM by hotrod4x5.
February 18, 2014 12:16PM
Hopefully the small storm that is coming in will drop some more water. On Sunday, the flow was pretty small.
February 15, 2014 01:38PM
Anyone seen El Cap/Horsetail in the last couple days? Any water running?
February 15, 2014 05:20PM
I am in park now. Horse tail fall is not flowing. I guess we hv to wait for next year.
February 15, 2014 05:26PM
Look more carefully, with the rain and snow they've had recently, there should be some water flowing down the fall, though it could be very little.
February 15, 2014 05:31PM
I just checked the El Capitan webcam, there's definitely water going over Horsetail Fall. Though today is most likely a total washout in regards to the waterfall being lit up since it's currently (at 5:30 PM) overcast with extensive cloud cover in and around Yosemite.

February 16, 2014 08:52AM
yang
I am in park now. Horse tail fall is not flowing. I guess we hv to wait for next year.
ha
The fall is VERY tiny. If you have never seen it before, you will likely be shocked at how small it is compared to other falls in the park. Until you know where to look, you could miss it.
February 16, 2014 08:29PM
Guys, I almost left until i saw this message. So I went back to the picnic area to check again. After I put my 400mm lens, man! I definitely saw it was flowing! I waited till the sunset but it did not turn golden today...
February 16, 2014 09:01PM
To get the whole falls you need about a 135mm lens on a crop sensor body, or 200 on full frame.
February 17, 2014 09:10AM
This is the best I got on 2/16/2014. There were probably a hundred photographers standing there. However, when the sun went to the last minute, it just faded out. I'd like to see if anybody got better photos on that day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2014 09:10AM by yang.
February 17, 2014 04:36PM
Looks like a good pic to me.
February 17, 2014 07:00PM
We were on Southside Dr. just east of where most people were and before the sand bar where more people were. Your picture is about what we saw.
February 17, 2014 08:43PM
We have not been in Yosemite to see Horsetail in quite a few years and was shocked with the number of cars parked along the viewing areas. We had to laugh that they had the parking marked as "event" parking. It took us a few minutes to realize what the event was.
February 18, 2014 07:49AM
parklover
We have not been in Yosemite to see Horsetail in quite a few years and was shocked with the number of cars parked along the viewing areas. We had to laugh that they had the parking marked as "event" parking. It took us a few minutes to realize what the event was.
With all the press about Horsetail the last few years it has become quite a zoo. I haven't been to see it later in Feb in over 5 years, but I have been told upwards of 400 people gather to watch it. They close off the right lane of Northside drive and make it parking, and do something similar along Southside. It is nice they acknowledge the need and make accommodations.

The first time I shot it there was maybe half a dozen of us total.
February 19, 2014 09:44AM
It has been years since we have been there so it was a surprise to see how many people are there now.
February 18, 2014 10:59PM
I was there on Sunday 2/16 and there was a small fall which the sun hit perfectly as it went down. I am sure on big water years it is spectacular. I have never been in Yosemite for the correct timing of horsetail falls so it was fun to get a glimpse of the magic. Many photographers were there with the BIG cameras. I was surprised how many people and that they closed a lane for parking.
I recommend seeing it if you are there at the right time-
February 19, 2014 07:39AM
lilagray
I was there on Sunday 2/16 and there was a small fall which the sun hit perfectly as it went down. I am sure on big water years it is spectacular. I have never been in Yosemite for the correct timing of horsetail falls so it was fun to get a glimpse of the magic. Many photographers were there with the BIG cameras. I was surprised how many people and that they closed a lane for parking.
I recommend seeing it if you are there at the right time-

The fall is very small, even in big years.
February 19, 2014 11:55AM
hotrod4x5

The fall is very small, even in big years.

The portion of the Horsetail Fall that gets backlight at sunset is very small.

The actually fall from top to bottom is pretty long, though because of its small watershed above it, it tends to dry up quickly.

On can view the full length of Horsetail Fall from the El Capitan Crossover Bridge. (Though there's no golden glow at sunset from that angle.)

February 19, 2014 08:25AM
Here is the view from Monday night (2/17). The crowds weren't too bad. The key is not being there on the weekend...

On Tuesday morning when I was out for sunrise photos, I didn't see anybody else around until I went to breakfast! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 08:26AM by vitaminC.
February 19, 2014 08:33AM
Nice photo Chris! Thanks for sharing.

Can you tell me where you took it? What lens and camera?
February 19, 2014 08:55AM
This is from the Southside drive viewpoint.

Pentax K5 with Sigma 70-200.
February 19, 2014 08:41AM
vitaminC
Here is the view from Monday night (2/17). The crowds weren't too bad. The key is not being there on the weekend...

On Tuesday morning when I was out for sunrise photos, I didn't see anybody else around until I went to breakfast! smiling smiley

Nice image. There definitely is less light behind the fall now compared to my shot. As the month progresses, the wall behind goes more into shadow, isolating the fall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 08:41AM by hotrod4x5.
February 19, 2014 08:56AM
Thanks!

Yes, we just need some hardy folks to go up there and pour some extra water over the top at the right time!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login