Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Re: February Yosemite Forum

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

February 06, 2014 10:59AM
"On the distribution and abundance of pikas in Yosemite" Joseph Stewart, PhD Candidate, University of California, Santa Cruz

The American pika (Ochotona princeps) has become a symbol of climate change impacts on alpine species. In California and the Great Basin, pikas have begun to disappear from low elevation historical sites, apparently as a result of climate warming. Species distribution models predict pikas will experience dramatic range collapse over the 21st century. So how are pikas faring in Yosemite and how should we expect them to respond over the coming century? Join Joseph Stewart for a research presentation on the present status and possible future fate of Yosemite’s pikas. Tuesday, February 11 from noon to 1 pm in the East Auditorium, Yosemite Valley.
avatar Re: February Yosemite Forum
February 06, 2014 11:08AM
If I was not an east coaster that is a talk I would love to attend. August 2013 was the first time I actually saw pikas at a distance in the upper end of Spiller Canyon. It would seem these little devils have pretty much confined themselves to high altitude locations. Has anybody seen them recently in Yosemite below 9,000'? Chick-on?
February 06, 2014 01:25PM
I've seen one at Olmsted Pt. Was quite surprised about that.
Z Perret may have seen them lower. Where he at?

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 06, 2014 01:32PM
I will be in the park, but I doubt my 2 year old and 4 year old will sit for an hour to listen. Cry baby
February 06, 2014 05:41PM
I saw one at Olmstead Point also. EDIT (Opps wrong spelling)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2014 05:55PM by parklover.
February 06, 2014 05:52PM
The one I saw was at Olmsted, not Olmstead. tongue sticking out smiley

February 06, 2014 05:54PM
chick-on
The one I saw was at Olmsted, not Olmstead. tongue sticking out smiley
Opps, I am having a spelling issue today. LOL
February 06, 2014 06:02PM
paaklova,
Obliviously not a huge deal. But it's just gotta be the most mis-spelled feature...
I think so much so that at one point a sign coming from the east said "Olmstead"... whereas
the one from the west said "Olmsted". Last I looked they were all correct tho.
It's named after http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Law_Olmsted,_Jr.
Looking back at old posts... I dooz da same thing. Mostly mispell on porpoise. Not dis won.
tongue sticking out smiley

February 06, 2014 07:11PM
For some reason that "a" sometimes slips in. Just like my memory sometimes does. LOL
February 06, 2014 10:26PM
I have a friend whose last is spelled Olmstead, I'll occasionally misspell it Olmsted.

Too confusing.
Pounding head on desk
February 06, 2014 11:43AM
Pika-ture

This guy was near Evolution Lake (11,000 ft) last September. Only other one I have ever seen was at 8500 feet in Desolation Wilderness. Never seen one in Yosemite that I can recall.
February 06, 2014 03:03PM
Looks like a marmot that's been to Disneyland.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login