Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (81% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tuolumne Early Opening?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tuolumne Early Opening?
February 18, 2014 12:17PM
I apologize if this has been covered on here somewhere in years past, but I couldn't find it. Tuolumne Meadows campground shows on recreation.gov as opening on July 10, and so for arrivals before that no reservations were available during the last onsale window this past week. Given the very light snowpack so far this year (and assuming that persists) would that date potentially move earlier in the season, or is it driven by more than just snow levels? IF it gets moved earlier, how would reservations (for the 50% reservable sites) be handled for the period before July 10 - would they be available to reserve at some point, or would the whole campground be walk-up until then? I know no one here is making the rules, but it seems like this may have occurred in the past at some point. Bottom line is we pretty much got shut out of Valley campsites for a June 28 arrival and I'm looking at other potential options. Thanks!
avatar Re: Tuolumne Early Opening?
February 18, 2014 12:23PM
If it opens early, it'll probably be not be on the reservation system. That's how it has worked in the past.
February 18, 2014 12:57PM
I was told by a ranger up there that the entire campground is FCFS if it opens early.
February 19, 2014 08:52AM
That might be our plan then. Thanks for the info!
February 19, 2014 05:55PM
I have some first hand experience with this scenario. Last year, around June (I think), just by luck I saw a notice either on this site or on FB that the TM campground would be opening early. I went right to recreation.gov and sure enough there was roughly (2) weeks of available sites for the end of June and begining of July. I spent July 1st - 11th there with my wife and daughter, it was awesome and our entire trip was reserved online. Moral of the story: if the campground opens early, there is a definite chance that online reservations will be available.

I was lucky enough to get (7) days in the Valley and (4) in TM during this most recent site release. I hope to get more in TM if it indeed opens early.
February 20, 2014 04:54PM
sewolpe
I have some first hand experience with this scenario. Last year, around June (I think), just by luck I saw a notice either on this site or on FB that the TM campground would be opening early. I went right to recreation.gov and sure enough there was roughly (2) weeks of available sites for the end of June and begining of July. I spent July 1st - 11th there with my wife and daughter, it was awesome and our entire trip was reserved online. Moral of the story: if the campground opens early, there is a definite chance that online reservations will be available.

I was lucky enough to get (7) days in the Valley and (4) in TM during this most recent site release. I hope to get more in TM if it indeed opens early.

Interesting, that is contrary to what a ranger told me, but that was 3 years ago.
February 24, 2014 09:19AM
Last year Tuolumne opened June 8. I don't think they announced it until the week before. We were in the valley the week of June 1 and when I "heard it through the grapevine," I scurried over to the Curry lounge and used my laptop to make reservations for that date. So, yes, last year. suprisingly, they put the sites up for reservations immediately. We stayed in Tuolumne a few more nights beyond our initial three nights reserved and had no problem keeping our site. Very nice and quiet up there, too, in the campground.
February 24, 2014 11:03AM
Something I learned the first time I stayed in TM was that regardless of what site you reserve, they will assign you a site based on your equipment when you arrive. I had pieced together 4 nights by checking the website over the course of a few weeks. Two nights in a tent site, one in an Rv site and another in a different sized RV site. When we arrived, he just gave us a tent site for all 4 nights.

I am not sure if they always do that, but it was nice not to have to move.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login