All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Tent on an "RV NONELECTRIC" site?
February 18, 2014 12:24PM
Didn't look too carefully when I made the reservation, and I booked an "RV NONELECTRIC" site. I checked my reservation again today. I was wondering about it since I tried to modify the reservation and a tent equipment option wasn't available. I tried searching for sites with the tent equipment option, and my site didn't show up.

I've seen photos of the site on NPS, Eeek's campsite photo site, and another site. I think there's probably enough room to place a tent, but Recreation.gov comes with a dire warning that " If you arrive to the campground with different equipment than what you booked for, you will likely not fit, and will be turned away."

I do remember a few years back, someone stated that unless the site description was specific that a tent won't fit, it should be no problem. I've got a small 3 person backpacking tent that can fit into tight squeezes.

I do see the following:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campingfaq.htm

I made a reservation for an RV nonelectric campsite but only have a tent. Can I still use the campsite?
Some campsites are listed on recreation.gov as "RV nonelectric." This means the campsite is best suited for RVs and trailers. While you aren't required to use an RV in one of these campsites, they are listed as RV only because they generally do not have adequate or level space to pitch a tent. If you arrive and find that the campsite doesn't work for you and/or your tent, we will not be able to move you to a different campsite. You should always read the site alerts and book a site that is appropriate for the equipment you will be camping in. If you have questions about a specific campsite, you can call the campground office at the phone number listed in your reservation.

I can deal with it not being level. We're going to be using an air mattress, so bumps aren't a big issue. I'd rather not be fighting with anyone over space. I know some groups bring lots of stuff in (like tables) and might be pinching off some space that might be usable for a tent. We're going to be in pretty tight. Just a small tent and using the picnic table, bear box. It looks like we'll have a double wide parking space. We can easily fit it in the parking space if it's dirt and we can pitch stakes.
Re: Tent on an "RV NONELECTRIC" site?
February 18, 2014 12:49PM
You'll be fine. Pitch your tent and have fun!
avatar Re: Tent on an "RV NONELECTRIC" site?
February 18, 2014 12:54PM
Don't sweat it. You should be fine.

I can't vouch for all "RV non-electric" campsites, but all I've camped at in Yosemite Valley (and others that I've seen in person) have had enough space to pitch a small (or even a 4-person) tent on a more or less level area.

(I've had more of a problem finding a suitable tent site at some of the "tent only" campsites I've been assigned at the Tuolumne Meadows campground, ironically.)

February 19, 2014 07:15AM
y_p_w
Didn't look too carefully when I made the reservation, and I booked an "RV NONELECTRIC" site. I checked my reservation again today. I was wondering about it since I tried to modify the reservation and a tent equipment option wasn't available. I tried searching for sites with the tent equipment option, and my site didn't show up.

I've seen photos of the site on NPS, Eeek's campsite photo site, and another site. I think there's probably enough room to place a tent, but Recreation.gov comes with a dire warning that " If you arrive to the campground with different equipment than what you booked for, you will likely not fit, and will be turned away."

I do remember a few years back, someone stated that unless the site description was specific that a tent won't fit, it should be no problem. I've got a small 3 person backpacking tent that can fit into tight squeezes.

I do see the following:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campingfaq.htm

I made a reservation for an RV nonelectric campsite but only have a tent. Can I still use the campsite?
Some campsites are listed on recreation.gov as "RV nonelectric." This means the campsite is best suited for RVs and trailers. While you aren't required to use an RV in one of these campsites, they are listed as RV only because they generally do not have adequate or level space to pitch a tent. If you arrive and find that the campsite doesn't work for you and/or your tent, we will not be able to move you to a different campsite. You should always read the site alerts and book a site that is appropriate for the equipment you will be camping in. If you have questions about a specific campsite, you can call the campground office at the phone number listed in your reservation.

I can deal with it not being level. We're going to be using an air mattress, so bumps aren't a big issue. I'd rather not be fighting with anyone over space. I know some groups bring lots of stuff in (like tables) and might be pinching off some space that might be usable for a tent. We're going to be in pretty tight. Just a small tent and using the picnic table, bear box. It looks like we'll have a double wide parking space. We can easily fit it in the parking space if it's dirt and we can pitch stakes.

What site # are you talking about?
February 19, 2014 11:06AM
http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/Upper-Pines

Try this link to get recon on your site#. This is for Upper Pines but once you are in there, you can choose any campground.
February 19, 2014 11:17AM
boomtown
http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/Upper-Pines

Try this link to get recon on your site#. This is for Upper Pines but once you are in there, you can choose any campground.

I saw a photo of the site there. The issue I have is that there's plenty of room off to the side of the parking pad, but I'm sort of worried about my tent getting run over by the campers next door. I've seen some pretty crazy stuff happen when people back up, including a guy who ran over the site # marker on my site, which tore off a corner of my ticket.

I think there's room in the middle, but then there might be sites around there where people set up tables, grills, etc. I lot of the photos I saw of the site showed people packing all sorts of junk. We're only a family of three that won't need more than our own picnic table. Still - mtn man sent me a private message and reassured me that the site would be fine for a tent.

Speaking of the picnic table, I'm thinking of maybe moving it if I need space. I remember once camping at Mt Rainier, at a campground where all the sites were distinct - separated by trees and bushes. However, someone previously moved the picnic table to the parking pad.

Also - I haven't taken the kid camping more than a single night at a group campground. Kid is three. The previous experience didn't involve bears and all campers shared duties. I'm thinking of bringing books, stickers, and a few toys. The kid is familiar with being away from home, but outside camping
February 19, 2014 11:47AM
Yes, you can move your campsite picnic table as long as you keep it within your campsite.

In regards to neighbors encroaching on your campsite, if you feel that they actually have set up within your campsite, talk to them nicely about it otherwise let the camp host deal with the issue. Knock on wood, I never had that issue at Yosemite campgrounds.

In regards of your neighbors setting up stuff NEAR the edge of your campsite, well there's nothing you can really do. My only advice on this is just to get to your campsite early so you can set it up early to your liking. Campers don't intentionally try to set up their stuff next to other campers stuff but if the adjacent campsite is empty while they're setting up, they might be tempted to setup some of their stuff close to the edge of the vacant campsite.

My two biggest issues about camping in a Yosemite Valley campground is 1) the excessive nose during the supposed "Quite Hours (10PM - 6AM)" and 2) other campers walking right through the middle of your campsite to get somewhere (and not even saying hello and acknowledging your presence). I'm not too anal about this in that if they're trying to walk near the boundary of my campsite I fine with that. But right through the middle?

February 19, 2014 01:05PM
You might not be able to move the picnic table too far since some are chained down.
February 19, 2014 05:00PM
i normally always get rv non electric sites, but use a 3 man, never a problem
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login