Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: NatureBridge Summer Teen Program in Yosemite National Park Builds Future Scientists and Leaders 2014

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar NatureBridge Summer Teen Program in Yosemite National Park Builds Future Scientists and Leaders 2014
February 18, 2014 06:26PM
Registration is now open for two-week field research course

NatureBridge, the largest residential environmental education partner of the National Park Service, opened registration for the Summer Field Research Course at its Yosemite campus. This two-week immersive backcountry expedition will give participants the opportunity to conduct rigorous field science investigations in one of the most iconic national parks in the country.

The course offers the ultimate teen summer science adventure. Students work with NatureBridge educators and produce their own field-based research project. These explorations deepen their understanding of the Sierra Nevada ecosystem and empower students to think critically about the world around them.

“Teenagers emerge from the Summer Field Research Course knowing how to think like scientists,” said Becky Zentmyer, course director. “The course is student-centered, inquiry-based learning at its most adventurous. Students learn field research skills that can transfer to high school, college and beyond.”

In Yosemite, students may choose from 3 sessions in the summer of 2014: June 29 through July 12, July 13 through July 26, or July 27 through August 9. NatureBridge offers need-based financial aid to qualified participants.

Students interested in the program are encouraged to contact NatureBridge directly at 209-379-9511 extension 19 or yosemitefieldresearch@naturebridge.org. The Summer Field Research Course is also offered in Olympic National Park and will take place July 20 through August 2. Please contact 206-382-6212 extension 13 or olympicfieldresearch@naturebridge.org with any questions.

To learn more about NatureBridge’s Summer Field Research courses in both Olympic and Yosemite National Parks, visit http://naturebridge.org/summerfieldresearch.
“NatureBridge Summer Teen Program in Yosemite National Park Builds Future Scientists and Leaders 2014”

Builds future scientists and leaders???

Now that's a bold claim. Like who?

With a subject line like that to the article I was expecting some names of notable scientists and leaders of today who had gone through the NatureBridge (formerly known as the Yosemite Institute) Summer Teen program in the past (since the organization has been operating in Yosemite since 1971).

But no names were mentioned. I guess it's just unsubstantiated PR fluff. Oh well...

It's a press release. What else would one expect?
With that headline, actual names.

Something like President Obama was a graduate of the program back in 1976 or some other notable current leader or scientist graduated from the program in such-and-such year.

Being in business since 1971, they should have some notable alumni by now if their program actually builds future scientist and leaders.

Just saying...

Dood,
It's a backpacking adventure for high school kids. Relax. Of course they want
to sell the program. They aren't doing it for free. You can be a scientist and
leader without being famous. Fame, I'm pretty sure, is overrated.
Read the reviews (yeah, sure, they are probably skewed to sell the program).
Getting kids to really appreciate and respect the outdoors and do some
learning is a good thing.

Chick-on is looking at you!
To be clear I have nothing against this program, nor all the activities that NatureBridge does with kids that enroll in their programs.

But my reaction was just about the disappointment of not seeing any alumni of NatureBridge shown as examples how their programs build future scientist and leaders. Before I clicked on the initial post, I was hoping to see some names of maybe current scientists, park rangers, environmentalist or even political leaders of some sort. That's all.

Again, I have no issues with the program itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 12:21PM by plawrence.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login