Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: cellular service

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

February 27, 2014 07:43AM
I'm curious what people's experiences have been getting (or not getting) cellular service when in YNP. I'm not talking about in the backcountry but in The Valley and/or in TM. Last summer I had no service at all, even though my carrier says they have service everywhere cellular service is available (my "carrier" is one of the big re-sellers that uses the networks of the big providers).

I am under the impression that both AT&T and Verizon have coverage in the Valley and in TM, which means I should in these spots as well. Thanks for sharing what your experience has been.

- Billy Joel
February 27, 2014 08:41AM
We have Verizon and our friends have At&T. With that I can say that we get more coverage than they do when in Yosemite overall. Verizon no longer has a cell tower in Yosemite and use Golden State as their carrier. However, if you are in the right area, the phone will switch directly to a Verizon tower and you can get 3 G. In the Valley, the area around Yosemite Lodge, Yosemite Village and the Ahwahnee has the best signal and in general cell coverage in the east part of the valley is much better than the west valley. One thing I have noticed that when you are in the valley if you point the receiver part of your phone towards Sentinel Rock, you get a better signal. Cell coverage in the west valley is basically non existent in most of it. I have gotten cell coverage at Olmsted Point and also in TM near the developed areas. However, it is really spotty anywhere along Tioga Rd. In general we have found that sending a text is sometimes better than talking. Also, if you try to send anything big, like a text picture, it either takes a long time to send or it does not send at all. I hope this helps.
February 27, 2014 08:52AM
My wife and I are on Verizon. We both have Moto Droids (although hers is much newer than mine). In general, we've found that we get acceptable to good reception in many spots of the Valley. I can't recall specifics but I know we've both made calls from around the Village, from Yose Lodge, the Ahwanee and probably elsewhere (I know I've also managed to text her when I've been further west in the Valley). We rarely hang near Curry (unless we're parking there to go up the Mist Trail) so can't comment on that area. Also get pretty good reception at GP and Wawona as I recall. When we're in the southern part of the Park, we usually stay in Yose West and reception is a bit more hit-or-miss there although my wife's phone does better than mine...we can usually at least get reception of the "OK, I got a signal, now to make sure I don't accidentally move to the left" variety!

Can't recall if we've ever tried calls from the TM area although I think we probably have (my mother-in-law is 90 and lives alone so my wife likes to check in with her at least once a day).

Not sure if that helps any.

FYI, up until a few years ago, my wife was still on an AT&T plan. IIRC, her coverage was more spotty than mine at that point (I was on Verizon).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2014 08:53AM by DavidK42.
February 27, 2014 11:42AM
DavidK42
My wife and I are on Verizon. We both have Moto Droids (although hers is much newer than mine). In general, we've found that we get acceptable to good reception in many spots of the Valley. I can't recall specifics but I know we've both made calls from around the Village, from Yose Lodge, the Ahwanee and probably elsewhere (I know I've also managed to text her when I've been further west in the Valley). We rarely hang near Curry (unless we're parking there to go up the Mist Trail) so can't comment on that area. Also get pretty good reception at GP and Wawona as I recall. When we're in the southern part of the Park, we usually stay in Yose West and reception is a bit more hit-or-miss there although my wife's phone does better than mine...we can usually at least get reception of the "OK, I got a signal, now to make sure I don't accidentally move to the left" variety!

Can't recall if we've ever tried calls from the TM area although I think we probably have (my mother-in-law is 90 and lives alone so my wife likes to check in with her at least once a day).

Not sure if that helps any.

FYI, up until a few years ago, my wife was still on an AT&T plan. IIRC, her coverage was more spotty than mine at that point (I was on Verizon).

I found that the upper part of Yosemite West has better coverage than lower down. If you hike to the Fire Lookout you will have full coverage and can do any thing you want to do. I love the don't move comment, that is so true.
February 27, 2014 09:11AM
I have Verizon and usually have service in TM near the lodge. I generally go up the hill where the tent cabins are to get service. Never tried it elsewhere in TM. I generally avoid the valley, so I can't speak for that.
February 27, 2014 12:26PM
The Other Tom
I have Verizon and usually have service in TM near the lodge. I generally go up the hill where the tent cabins are to get service. Never tried it elsewhere in TM. I generally avoid the valley, so I can't speak for that.

The tower is near the high sierra camp. There's coverage around most of Tuolumne Meadows.
February 27, 2014 09:26AM
I use AT&T and found spotty service through the valley. Data (like readiing this site) is very iffy and slow. However, I have found good cell service on top of Half Dome and Clouds Rest.
February 27, 2014 10:21AM
I get 4g in the valley on at&t. It works best around the lodge and the village, but if I am outside at Curry, it works there too.

Last year I reported on my 4g experience http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,63303,66757

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2014 10:34AM by hotrod4x5.
February 27, 2014 11:39PM
There's a Cell tower on Sentinel Dome on the Glacier Point side. There's a trail that goes right by it.
I THINK there's one on Turtleback Dome just outside the valley. That dome is above you on the right as you're driving into the valley on 41 and you come around a corner and get your first AHHA! view of Half Dome.
There must be one somewhere near Tuolumne Meadows Lodge and campground because there's coverage near TM.

If you can see the top of Sentinel Dome I'd expect you to have coverage.
That means Curry and the lower parts of JMT and Mist aren't going to have very good coverage.

And not all carriers work, I have Virgin Mobile and have NO cell phone service!
March 01, 2014 05:52AM
Thanks everyone. This pretty much matches my understanding and expectations, and shows that my carrier is full of bear poop.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login