Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Snowshoe options for tomorrow

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Snowshoe options for tomorrow
March 01, 2014 11:10AM
Hello,

Heading to Yosemite in the morning for two nights of bliss. We are planning to get some snow shoeing in with the current storm dropping some fresh powder. We are going to spend most of our time out of Badger but were thinking of exploring something off of 120 on the way in before getting to the valley. I called to see if they got snow up in the Crane Flat area (since I have some snow shoe trail maps for that area) and the fellow on the phone said yes they did since they have road restrictions. BUT he said that because of the fire that the trails are not accessible this winter and only the "play area" is available.

So.... my question is does anyone know of something else that might be fun to do taking off from the road with enough elevation to snow shoe? I think elevation of about 6K is as low as we can go to ensure snow... I have not really explored much by way of the highway. Only hiking trails off of Tioga Rd so anything would be new. Any ideas? I suppose we could ditch the shoes and find something lower to hike but really wanting to enjoy some of the white stuff since that is the focus of the trip.

Thanks for any ideas!
avatar Re: Snowshoe options for tomorrow
March 01, 2014 12:48PM
lilagray
Hello,

Heading to Yosemite in the morning for two nights of bliss. We are planning to get some snow shoeing in with the current storm dropping some fresh powder. We are going to spend most of our time out of Badger but were thinking of exploring something off of 120 on the way in before getting to the valley. I called to see if they got snow up in the Crane Flat area (since I have some snow shoe trail maps for that area) and the fellow on the phone said yes they did since they have road restrictions. BUT he said that because of the fire that the trails are not accessible this winter and only the "play area" is available.

So.... my question is does anyone know of something else that might be fun to do taking off from the road with enough elevation to snow shoe? I think elevation of about 6K is as low as we can go to ensure snow... I have not really explored much by way of the highway. Only hiking trails off of Tioga Rd so anything would be new. Any ideas? I suppose we could ditch the shoes and find something lower to hike but really wanting to enjoy some of the white stuff since that is the focus of the trip.

Thanks for any ideas!

1. Merced Grove. Parking lot with toilets. Not too far from the Crane Flat fire lookout road on the way to the valley. Old Coulterville Road roadbed so it's wide and mellow. If not enough snow then the trip to the trees is still worth it. Starting elevation 5.9K' down to about 5.5K'

2. Shoe on Hwy 120 east from Crane Flat. Store at gas station may be open. Starting elevation 6K'+

3. Henness Ridge Drive Trail off of Wawona Road just about 1/8th mile south of the Yosemite West right turn off of Wawona Road as you head south. The trail is on the left as you head south on Wawona Road. This is a very flat trail and is an old road/rail bed so it's quite wide. Starting elevation 6K'+

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2014 12:50PM by mrcondron.
Re: Snowshoe options for tomorrow
March 01, 2014 03:04PM
Thanks for the ideas-
Re: Snowshoe options for tomorrow
March 02, 2014 08:36AM
I am planning to go Snowshoeing tomorrow.

For those of you who snowshoed this weekend:
How is the trail to Dewey point? Are Snowshoes required?
I understand the Crane Flat area is closed? Is that still the case?
avatar Re: Snowshoe options for tomorrow
March 02, 2014 10:05AM
There wasn't a stitch of snow there last weekend... and this storm was
another high one. Unless you normally come in 120... I wouldn't bother.
It's all new snow too. So ... post ... hole... unless someone already went thru.
And they prob. went thru w/o snow shoes. (Merced Grove)
So... in conclusion... just head to Badger Pass.
With new snow... snowshoes should be used... or a completely different
track than the snow shoe'ers... but that's typically too difficult so the
walkers usually screw up the snow shoe path... (and ski path).
Anywho. Prob. not much help. Stayed home ... smiling smiley
Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login