Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

favorite wilderness area

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

favorite wilderness area
March 04, 2014 12:13PM
Fifty years ago, in 1964, Congress passed the Wilderness Act. (Yes, in those days they actually got something done!) The US Forest Service is hoping to make a big deal out of this, and we hope they are successful. After all, this act is what has allowed us to hike for days on end through the Sierra Nevada without crossing a road, seeing a power line, or hearing the noise of chain saws or cars.

And as a way to thank them, I'd like to suggest that we each offer up our favorite wilderness area. Ours is Emigrant Wilderness, just north of Yosemite, and just a half-hour from our cabin. It has a lot in common with the National Park, including that amazing granite, but without so many people---and a lot easier permits!

What's yours?

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: favorite wilderness area
March 04, 2014 01:50PM
Desolation. One of the things I enjoy is the practicality of the place. There's no pretense (like with NPS) that anything that looks like man had been there must be eliminated. The impacts to the character are minor, but there's still a few dams as well as access roads.
March 04, 2014 06:56PM
Well, there's the idea of Wilderness Complex, a set of contiguous land that's designated wilderness (excludes wilderness cut in half like Yosemite, but includes multiple designated areas which join together like the two halves of Yosemite and their adjacent neighbors).

Going with that, I can pick the "South Sierra Complex" from the above-linked discussion.

But I really have a hard time picking 'favorites' with a topic like this. I've been to the Wind River Wilderness twice and had a great time. One could call MN's "Boundary Waters" and the adjacent wilderness-managed areas of Ontario's Quetico an "International Wilderness Complex", and I've likewise been there twice and had a great time. I was extremely happy when the Lost Coast area was finally protected as wilderness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2014 06:58PM by ttilley.
Re: favorite wilderness area
March 14, 2014 07:46AM
ttilley
Well, there's the idea of Wilderness Complex, a set of contiguous land that's designated wilderness (excludes wilderness cut in half like Yosemite, but includes multiple designated areas which join together like the two halves of Yosemite and their adjacent neighbors).

Going with that, I can pick the "South Sierra Complex" from the above-linked discussion.

But I really have a hard time picking 'favorites' with a topic like this. I've been to the Wind River Wilderness twice and had a great time. One could call MN's "Boundary Waters" and the adjacent wilderness-managed areas of Ontario's Quetico an "International Wilderness Complex", and I've likewise been there twice and had a great time. I was extremely happy when the Lost Coast area was finally protected as wilderness.

Pretty much, yes.

If by 'wilderness' one means getting away into nature away from other people, Golden Trout, South Sierra and Domeland pretty much fill the bill.

On a comparative basis, almost nobody goes there (except those who know!).
March 14, 2014 12:53PM
tanngrisnir3
If by 'wilderness' one means getting away into nature away from other people, Golden Trout, South Sierra and Domeland pretty much fill the bill.

Do they still graze cattle in Domeland?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 12:56PM by eeek.
March 17, 2014 12:16PM
eeek
tanngrisnir3

Do they still graze cattle in Domeland?

Unfortunately, yes, and there are plenty of 'wildcat'/feral livestock that are around there and further north up to Monache Meadows.
March 05, 2014 05:45AM
Carson-Iceberg.
March 10, 2014 08:52AM
My new favorite: The John Muir Wilderness, more specifically, The Granite Park area of Inyo NF.
March 10, 2014 11:22AM
atomicmonkey
My new favorite: The John Muir Wilderness, more specifically, The Granite Park area of Inyo NF.

This Granite Park?

March 10, 2014 01:14PM
basilbop
atomicmonkey

This Granite Park?

As a native North Dakotan, I have to say that you Westerners have the worst farm land on the continent.
March 10, 2014 07:54PM
THAT Granite Park!! Thanks for sharing your picture !!
March 10, 2014 08:18PM
Ewe Gotz No Chick-on's in da Dakoters? (n Perrets)

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 11, 2014 09:24AM
Dang...I wuz wondering where those pink feathers in my water (at home) came from
March 17, 2014 10:59AM
Dinkey Lakes Wilderness just East of Fresno/Clovis area. Minus the little 'squitos.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login