Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Redwood park closes road to deter burl poachers

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Redwood park closes road to deter burl poachers
March 05, 2014 09:23AM
http://www.mail.com/scitech/news/2694202-redwood-park-closes-road-to-deter-burl-poachers.html#.7518-stage-hero1-2

Sci/Tech March 05, 2014

Redwood park closes road to deter burl poachers

Authorities say unemployment and drug addiction have spurred an increase in the destructive practice of cutting off the knobby growths at the base of ancient redwood trees to make decorative pieces like lacey-grained coffee tables and wall clocks.

The practice — known as burl poaching — has become so prevalent along the Northern California coast that Redwood National and State Parks on Saturday started closing the popular Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway at night in a desperate attempt to deter thieves.

Law enforcement Ranger Laura Denny said Tuesday that poachers have been stalking the remote reaches of the park with their chain saws and ATVs for decades, but lately the size and frequency of thefts have been on the rise.

Edit: please don't post entire articles

Why not?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2014 02:48PM by Ken M.
avatar Re: Redwood park closes road to deter burl poachers
March 05, 2014 09:42AM
This kind of stuff is so depressing. Along with the morons who steal the petroglyphs, rhino horns, shark finning, etc..... I guess I'm a pessimist, but these types of things make me fear for the planet as we know it. As soon as there's money involved; kill, steal and ruin seams to be the order of the day. We need a new plague or something to get rid of half the people on the planet.
March 05, 2014 04:11PM
JasonS
We need a new plague or something to get rid of half the people on the planet.

Um, that is a bit harsh...
March 05, 2014 04:50PM
chicagocwright
JasonS

If the plague could be targeted to specific types of people, I would increase it to 3/4 of the people on the planet.
March 05, 2014 07:30PM
LVRAY
chicagocwright
JasonS

If the plague could be targeted to specific types of people, I would increase it to 3/4 of the people on the planet.
I was going to ask if he was going to volunteer himself or his wife. You upped the ante to more members of the family.
March 05, 2014 09:06PM
chicagocwright
I was going to ask if he was going to volunteer himself or his wife. You upped the ante to more members of the family.
Those that wanted everyone else dead would be the first on my list.
March 06, 2014 12:14AM
Dave
chicagocwright
Those that wanted everyone else dead would be the first on my list.

My comment was (partially) a joke. But the reality is, few people in this world are doing anything to help either the environment they live in or the people around them. Even if you do not count those unfortuante enough to be in situations where they can barely help themselves, the majority of the rest of us are doing very little of a positive nature. And yes, I just really just don't like most people anyway.
March 06, 2014 08:26AM
LVRAY
My comment was (partially) a joke. But the reality is, few people in this world are doing anything to help either the environment they live in or the people around them. Even if you do not count those unfortuante enough to be in situations where they can barely help themselves, the majority of the rest of us are doing very little of a positive nature. And yes, I just really just don't like most people anyway.
The best way to reduce the population is to stop making so many. Besides, there has to be a better way of dealing with Republicans and conservatives than wiping them out with a disease.
March 06, 2014 09:10AM
I know it was partially a joke. But I get touchy around the enviromentalist population control argument. The implications of the argument are sickening and a host of other really evil ideas when carried to the extreme.
March 06, 2014 02:02PM
chicagocwright
I know it was partially a joke. But I get touchy around the enviromentalist population control argument. The implications of the argument are sickening and a host of other really evil ideas when carried to the extreme.

I wasn't claiming to be an environmentalist. I was just pointing out that there are other reasons why a large reduction in the Earth's human population wouldn't be all bad. My reason is a I simply do not like most people.
March 06, 2014 01:02PM
LVRAY

Out of curiousity, what are you doing to help the environment or those around you? And not to sound like a dick, but posts like you've had in this thread make the majority of people not like you...
March 06, 2014 02:05PM
oakroscoe
LVRAY

Out of curiousity, what are you doing to help the environment or those around you? And not to sound like a dick, but posts like you've had in this thread make the majority of people not like you...
I honestly do not care if random stranges like me or not, especially ones with no sense of humor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2014 02:10PM by LVRAY.
March 06, 2014 02:32PM
You can edit the previous comment all you want, but I still wonder, since apparently myself and everyone else except you in this thread doens't get your humor, where is the humor? Please explain the joke to all of us..we are all waiting with baited breath.
March 05, 2014 04:44PM
Many municipalities have put up microphones. They can pinpoint a gunshot within a few hundred yards. Why not put up some microphones like that in the forest? They could hear the chainsaws at night and go get the thieves so the judge can put them away for years. Most likely they'd get a $50 fine and their chainsaws back. Oh well......
March 06, 2014 01:04PM
Dave, those gunshot mics that you are referring to are a joke. They haven't curtailed crime. I would lean towards spending the cash on more patrols as opposed to that.
March 06, 2014 01:26PM
oakroscoe
Dave, those gunshot mics that you are referring to are a joke. They haven't curtailed crime. I would lean towards spending the cash on more patrols as opposed to that.
The problem with that is that those gunshot microphones were not meant to reduce crime, but to find one in progress. Your patrols would be more effective if they knew where to patrol. Pinpointing the sound of a chainsaw would go a long ways in doing just that.
March 05, 2014 08:30PM
Majority of poor unskilled, unemployed Native Americans in that area living on the considerable reservation lands. Mostly good people but not surprisingly with poor also numbers without hope with drug and alcohol problems one can expect have low ethical behaviors. Numbers of their roadside businesses sell these burl pieces. Then there are numbers of long hairs in the region with their illegal weed plantations scratching out a living. Will be pretty much impossible to stop the poaching unless serious changes are made. And they should because there are still a great many spectacular trees in the national park where at night there is just no one around for miles. Just vast areas with many dirt 4wd roads that cannot be patrolled. So real solution would be to get government control on the finished burl merchant end. If they can only purchase burl through a government group that providers of burl must deal with, it would stop the activity. The government group could specially mark or metal tag label the raw or finished burl and monitor the roadside businesses for displaying only label works of art.

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2014 08:32PM by DavidSenesac.
March 05, 2014 10:18PM
Follow the money, as the saying goes. You have to shut down the demand to dry out the supply (much like they are trying to do with the ivory trade)

This is different spin on an old problem, as it reminds me of the article that I read about the petrified wood state park that had to be shut down (because there was no petrified wood left on the premesis; it had all been hauled out for sale or private collections)

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2014 10:21PM by Bee.
March 08, 2014 09:19PM
Spent a couple of years in school up there; once even gave some thought of retiring up there, but these days the crazies are all over the place:

-- A former Yosemite ranger was one of three joggers intentionally run down near Arcata.
http://www.northcoastjournal.com/Blogthing/archives/2012/09/30/obituary-released
http://www.times-standard.com/news/ci_24708095/testimony-continues-warren-hearing-defendants-wife-takes-stand

-- California man charged with priest's murder allegedly tried to light body on fire, blow up rectory in Eureka.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/man-charged-priest-murder-allegedly-blow-rectory-article-1.1570379
March 09, 2014 08:57AM
The extreme northern part of California has always attracted people not very well connected to reality. Is that group still hanging around Mt Shasta waiting for the UFOs to come? They are, I just did an internet search. They believe there is an alien base inside Mt Shasta. They claim to have pictures of them flying out. They must have some killer weed up there.
March 09, 2014 09:06AM
Dave
The extreme northern part of California has always attracted people not very well connected to reality. Is that group still hanging around Mt Shasta waiting for the UFOs to come? They are, I just did an internet search. They believe there is an alien base inside Mt Shasta. They claim to have pictures of them flying out. They must have some killer weed up there.

It's true,--no sh...!Cocktailsmileys with beer
March 09, 2014 10:56AM
Dave

That is first time I've seen those "people not very well connected to reality" referenced to the Northern part of the state of California.
March 09, 2014 12:38PM
chicagocwright
Dave
That is first time I've seen those "people not very well connected to reality" referenced to the Northern part of the state of California.

And you still haven't. Note the highlighted words.
March 09, 2014 11:47PM
Dave
chicagocwright
Dave
That is first time I've seen those "people not very well connected to reality" reference to the Northern part of the state of California.

And you still haven't. Note the highlighted words.

No that's what I intended. Northern extreme north, whatever. Just making a dig at the normal unconnected reality of "Hollywood".
March 06, 2014 09:58AM
That picture just ruined my day. I am sickened by this. All for a few bucks. Make no sense whatsoever.
March 06, 2014 09:49PM
If anything like that were occurring in my area, I would hope to coordinate with enforcement staff to observe, document and serve as an affiant. I so informed a BLM ranger several days ago and he was delighted.
March 07, 2014 09:00PM
Like my friend Bob R who serves as a volunteer ranger, we the users and lovers of the parklands need to join forces with our stewards; sort of like Parkland Minutemen!

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login