Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Seven years ago this week...

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Seven years ago this week...
March 11, 2014 02:25PM
March 4th 2007... those were the days!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2014 02:30PM by hotrod4x5.
March 11, 2014 02:35PM
And March 2nd, 2007...

avatar Re: Seven years ago this week...
March 11, 2014 02:38PM
Wow, is that actually SNOW on the valley floor???

I almost forgot how that looked like.

Thanks for the reminder!
March 11, 2014 02:44PM
Yes, I should have labeled it. Site 65, Upper Pines.
March 12, 2014 09:25AM
I was there that year - maybe a week earlier than you. I hiked up Upper Yosemite Fall Trail to the bridge and back. There was a fresh dump of snow and I was postholing my way at the top without gaiters. It was great with the snow. I did talk to one group of college kids staying at Camp 4. I was wondering why they picked that as a large group, when they could have been at Upper Pines with a per site camping fee.

And I went backpacking in June. By then it was pretty obvious that it was a low water year with Yosemite Falls looking rather sad. I was in the Valley for a day trip almost exactly a year before, and it was raging and full.
March 12, 2014 10:54AM
y_p_w
I was there that year - maybe a week earlier than you. I hiked up Upper Yosemite Fall Trail to the bridge and back. There was a fresh dump of snow and I was postholing my way at the top without gaiters. It was great with the snow. I did talk to one group of college kids staying at Camp 4. I was wondering why they picked that as a large group, when they could have been at Upper Pines with a per site camping fee.

And I went backpacking in June. By then it was pretty obvious that it was a low water year with Yosemite Falls looking rather sad. I was in the Valley for a day trip almost exactly a year before, and it was raging and full.
I did not visit in June that year, even with all that snow, it was a low year? Interesting.
March 24, 2014 05:30PM
hotrod4x5
y_p_w

I did not visit in June that year, even with all that snow, it was a low year? Interesting.

It wasn't really a good snow year. I'd passed through the year before, and we were worried that in late June Tioga Pass wouldn't be open. It had just opened a few days earlier. If it hadn't, we probably would have had to go through Reno to get home. However, we found a place to stay in Bishop and the desk clerk told us Tioga Pass had opened just a few days earlier.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm

It says by April 1, 2006 had 129% of average snowpack and Tioga Pass opened June 17. In 2007 it was 49% and opening for Tioga Pass was May 11. With my wilderness permit I was calling to see if the TM hikers bus was going to be running in time for my trip. Otherwise I'm thinking I might have had to hitch a ride to Tenaya Lake.
March 16, 2014 09:01AM
Your pics are interesting! 2007 was one year, in 35 years, that our family camped in Tuolumne in June instead of the valley because it was so dry.

In 2007 we all hiked to Glen Aulin. What a difference from 2006, when my hubby and I hiked there and beyond at the end of June.
March 16, 2014 04:30PM
hikerchick395
Your pics are interesting! 2007 was one year, in 35 years, that our family camped in Tuolumne in June instead of the valley because it was so dry.

In 2007 we all hiked to Glen Aulin. What a difference from 2006, when my hubby and I hiked there and beyond at the end of June.

That is interesting! My dates are correct, I know that for sure.
March 18, 2014 06:55AM
smiling smiley

Too Years Ago this day...

(you wanted pix of cars, no?)

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 18, 2014 08:16AM
chick-on
smiling smiley

Too Years Ago this day...

(you wanted pix of cars, no?)

Yes of course!
March 21, 2014 06:38AM
I thought so...

Three years ago on this day (Mar 21... 2nd day o spring)

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login