Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tioga Road closures & Tuolumne Grove trailhead

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tioga Road closures & Tuolumne Grove trailhead
March 14, 2014 03:58PM
Greetings all!!!

So I will be heading out to Yosemite late tonight/Early tomorrow morning.
The plan is to get into the park before sunrise and start down a trail as the sun comes up to utilize all of the sunlight we can for the day.
My question is: Is the gate closing Tioga Pass before or after the trailhead for Tuolumne grove? This is a trail I haven't done yet and I cannot recall if it is accessible when the pass is closed.
ANY&ALL information is helpful.

Also, am I correct in believing there will be little/no snow at that elevation? I think I read something on a previous thread that there was barely any snow on the ground near the Crane Flat gas station. sad smiley

Thanks again for your time and maybe i'll see some of you out and about.
avatar Re: Tioga Road closures & Tuolumne Grove trailhead
March 14, 2014 08:15PM
The gate is right AFTER the trailhead to the Grove, so you shouldn't have any trouble with that.
I drove thru Crane Flat last week and saw the most snow of the trip around there, but that makes sense since that's the highest spot. It was patchy and not very thick and most of it might have melted off by now. However the trail down the the Grove is north facing under trees, and would have the most snow for a longer time than surrounding areas. It's also very steep and not a place you'd want to slip. I'd bring your yaktrax or other traction devices just in case.

YMMV
I'd welcome to hear other's opinions

enjoy your trip!
March 17, 2014 06:17AM
Um... ah... um... Tuolumne Grove has been closed for a long time... and still is.

Confused why no one didn't write this... although by 4pm I was in the park. wink
So maybe everyone went to the park this weekedn. Waiting with baited breath for all the TRs and pix.

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 17, 2014 10:28AM
Left without checking this before. Drove down Tioga to the gate, the only areas that looked like they could have been the trailhead were closed and full of construction equipment.
So we just went down to the valley. Camp 45 was a complete mad house. Apparently they didn't care about the 6 person per site limit because every site had about a dozen people in it.
almost got in to a confrontation with one man because he has " got there first" to an empty site by himself. and my group of 5 moved in because it was the only site that was available and had room for the 5 (under the assumption that rangers would be enforcing the 6 person limit) I have never seen the park that busy at this time of year, and was amazed at how disrespectful people were as far as trashing the sites and trails. many beatings were needed.
March 17, 2014 11:02AM
JamesMac
Left without checking this before. Drove down Tioga to the gate, the only areas that looked like they could have been the trailhead were closed and full of construction equipment.
So we just went down to the valley. Camp 45 was a complete mad house. Apparently they didn't care about the 6 person per site limit because every site had about a dozen people in it.
almost got in to a confrontation with one man because he has " got there first" to an empty site by himself. and my group of 5 moved in because it was the only site that was available and had room for the 5 (under the assumption that rangers would be enforcing the 6 person limit) I have never seen the park that busy at this time of year, and was amazed at how disrespectful people were as far as trashing the sites and trails. many beatings were needed.

I find beatings to be counter-productive, to say nothing of the fact that they're felonious.
March 27, 2014 01:49PM
tanngrisnir3
JamesMac

I find beatings to be counter-productive, to say nothing of the fact that they're felonious.

Is it not also felonious to deface federal property? because that's what Yosemite is, right?
I wouldn't actually beat someone, just think about it a lot. And IMHO, it would be rightfully deserved. I don't understand how people can be so disrespectful to a beautiful place like Yosemite. It makes me want to just go in their home and start trashing the place (although I'd assume most of the offenders trash their own environment anyways, so my doing so wouldn't matter.).
March 17, 2014 11:08AM
Camp 45? Do you perhaps mean Camp 4, the climbers' camp? Also, if the other fellow had gotten there first, why did you think you could take his spot?

(p.s. have read this forum for years, follow on Twitter, and finally decided I should go ahead and sign up--Chick-On, you have been my hiking hero for a LONG time from your TRs here!)
March 17, 2014 11:33AM
RBlackPhoto
Camp 45? Do you perhaps mean Camp 4, the climbers' camp? Also, if the other fellow had gotten there first, why did you think you could take his spot?

(p.s. have read this forum for years, follow on Twitter, and finally decided I should go ahead and sign up--Chick-On, you have been my hiking hero for a LONG time from your TRs here!)

The rules for camp 4 is that up to 6 people can share a campsite and if there are less than 6 people in your party then you have to share the site with other campers. So unless that guy had 5 other people in his group that individually signed in, he has to share with strangers. http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/camp4.htm
March 17, 2014 11:48AM
Yes, I'm aware of the rules. Perhaps the other poster can elaborate whether they booted the solo camper from the site (which is what it sounds like to me). If not, and if they all shared the spot, then good for all of them.

And as far as his other complaint that some sites had more than six people--hey, welcome to Camp 4. smiling smiley
March 17, 2014 12:23PM
JamesMac's post: " almost got in to a confrontation with one man because he has " got there first" to an empty site by himself. and my group of 5 moved in because it was the only site that was available and had room for the 5 (under the assumption that rangers would be enforcing the 6 person limit)"

It doesn't sound like James booted the guy out but only wanted to share.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 12:24PM by parklover.
March 17, 2014 11:51AM
parklover
RBlackPhoto

The rules for camp 4 is that up to 6 people can share a campsite and if there are less than 6 people in your party then you have to share the site with other campers. So unless that guy had 5 other people in his group that individually signed in, he has to share with strangers. http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/camp4.htm

Bingo!

Camp 4 campsites are shared, JamesMac party wasn't taking his spot. They had the right to the other five spots for that one campsite.

(And just to make clear to those who aren't familiar, while Camp 4 is historically where the rock climbers visiting Yosemite made their camp, it isn't just a "climbers' camp". It's open to all park visitors.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 02:59PM by plawrence.
March 17, 2014 11:56AM
Yes, I know the rules. It simply wasn't (and still isn't) clear to me whether they booted Mr. Solo, or just joined his camp. And while I'm also aware that Camp 4 is open to anybody who wants to camp there, it does have a particular atmosphere because of its use primarily by climbers (which I think is one of the best things about it).
March 25, 2014 09:39AM
RBlackPhoto
Yes, I know the rules. It simply wasn't (and still isn't) clear to me whether they booted Mr. Solo, or just joined his camp. And while I'm also aware that Camp 4 is open to anybody who wants to camp there, it does have a particular atmosphere because of its use primarily by climbers (which I think is one of the best things about it).

Yes I meant camp 4. We didn't boot him, he was by himself and apparently thought he could have the whole site to himself. If you know the rules why would you assume we just forced him out when I clearly said it was the only spot available to take 5 more people. On the sign in sheet there was one name and signature for the site we had moved in to, so the last 5 were rightfully ours. and it wasn't a complaint about there being more than 6 people per site, simply an observation that there was double per site and I was surprised there wasn't any enforcement. seeing as when you talk to rangers who run check-in and check-out they seems to be a bit stern on the rules even if you tell them you've been there a thousand times.
March 17, 2014 01:00PM
plawrence
it isn't a "climbers' camp".

Somebody should let the climbers know.
March 17, 2014 01:31PM
eeek
plawrence
it isn't a "climbers' camp".

Somebody should let the climbers know.

Head roll thumbs up thumbs up
March 17, 2014 06:32PM
RBlackPhoto

Wow. Tanks.

Do you have any photos in that annual thingie dingie? Wifie loved loved loved ur faux toe of Z Rostrum.
I'd imagine it's coming up... if not already started. We've gone to it the last couple of yrs.
smiling smiley

March 24, 2014 07:29PM
chick-on
RBlackPhoto

Wow. Tanks.

Do you have any photos in that annual thingie dingie? Wifie loved loved loved ur faux toe of Z Rostrum.
I'd imagine it's coming up... if not already started. We've gone to it the last couple of yrs.
smiling smiley

The answer was yes. I guess the turkeys here scared u away. sigh
Loved the faux toe of the branch thingies
Winter's Bones
Honorable Mention

Congrabulashuns

March 27, 2014 02:48PM
Ha! Nah, I don't scare easily. ;-)

Thanks for the nice words about my work--and yes, as you noted, I do have a piece in this year's exhibit. For anybody stopping into the museum this spring when you're in the valley, do check out the Yosemite Renaissance exhibit. There are some amazing works of art in there (I'm truly honored to rub shoulders with some of those gorgeous works). The shot of the Alabama Hills with very carefully, subtly done selective color is probably my favorite this year.

(edited to add: didn't have time to come check on the thread because I'm crazy-busy; prepping for an upcoming exhibit in LA at the G2 Gallery on my Owens Lake photo documentary)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2014 02:50PM by RBlackPhoto.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login