Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: When to visit Tuolumne Meadows?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

When to visit Tuolumne Meadows?
March 16, 2014 09:33AM
Hello,

We have decided to take a few days in Tuolumne Meadows and Mono Lake this summer. With the dry winter and all, when would the best time to go, late June or late July? My primary purpose is for photography but the wife and our 18 month old will be joining. Any recommendations for easy/short hikes in the meadows? Any help or recommendations for first timers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
avatar Re: When to visit Tuolumne Meadows?
March 16, 2014 12:03PM
MDDub
Hello,

We have decided to take a few days in Tuolumne Meadows and Mono Lake this summer. With the dry winter and all, when would the best time to go, late June or late July?

Earlier, within the first two weeks after Tioga Road is opened, is the best time to visit Tuolumne Meadows during the summer/late spring season if your interest is short day hikes around the area. My guess is that Tioga Road will be opened by early May this year. During that time, the air will still be cool, there will probably still be some snow on the nearby mountains and there will be no crowds and no mosquitoes to contend with, a beautiful time to photograph the Tuolumne Meadows region.

The downside of such an early visit? Most likely no visitor services operating in Tuolumne Meadows (no gasoline, no food service, no camping, no lodging). But the lack of crowds and no mosquitoes offset that minor inconvenience, IMHO.

If you decide to visit Tuolumne Meadows and Mono Lake as soon as Tioga Road opens, I would recommend that you stay overnight at Lee Vining (near Mono Lake). My preferred lodging establishment in Lee Vining is Murphey's Motel. Others might recommend other lodging establishments, but I've always had good stays at Murphey's and their prices are pretty reasonable.

MDDub

My primary purpose is for photography but the wife and our 18 month old will be joining. Any recommendations for easy/short hikes in the meadows?

A short hike up Pothole Dome is a must. Also a hike up and back in Lyell Canyon is scenic and easy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2014 01:16PM by plawrence.
March 16, 2014 03:41PM
plawrence
MDDub
Hello,

We have decided to take a few days in Tuolumne Meadows and Mono Lake this summer. With the dry winter and all, when would the best time to go, late June or late July?

Earlier, within the first two weeks after Tioga Road is opened, is the best time to visit Tuolumne Meadows during the summer/late spring season if your interest is short day hikes around the area. My guess is that Tioga Road will be opened by early May this year. During that time, the air will still be cool, there will probably still be some snow on the nearby mountains and there will be no crowds and no mosquitoes to contend with, a beautiful time to photograph the Tuolumne Meadows region.

The downside of such an early visit? Most likely no visitor services operating in Tuolumne Meadows (no gasoline, no food service, no camping, no lodging). But the lack of crowds and no mosquitoes offset that minor inconvenience, IMHO.

If you decide to visit Tuolumne Meadows and Mono Lake as soon as Tioga Road opens, I would recommend that you stay overnight at Lee Vining (near Mono Lake). My preferred lodging establishment in Lee Vining is Murphey's Motel. Others might recommend other lodging establishments, but I've always had good stays at Murphey's and their prices are pretty reasonable.

MDDub

My primary purpose is for photography but the wife and our 18 month old will be joining. Any recommendations for easy/short hikes in the meadows?

A short hike up Pothole Dome is a must. Also a hike up and back in Lyell Canyon is scenic and easy.

Thank you. I was looking at either Murphey's or Tioga Pass Resort. I had looked at Pothole Dome but not Lyell Canyon. I appreciate it!
March 16, 2014 01:02PM
MDDub
Any recommendations for easy/short hikes in the meadows?

I first have to ask what do you consider short and easy?
March 16, 2014 03:42PM
eeek
MDDub
Any recommendations for easy/short hikes in the meadows?

I first have to ask what do you consider short and easy?

No more than a couple of hours and without too much elevation gain. My 18 month old won't last very long before she needs a nap.
March 16, 2014 04:38PM
MDDub
No more than a couple of hours and without too much elevation gain. My 18 month old won't last very long before she needs a nap.

There's a use trail around the side of Pothole Dome. Not a long hike and next to nothing for gain but it gets you to a very nice section of the Tuolumne River.
March 16, 2014 08:28PM
eeek
MDDub

There's a use trail around the side of Pothole Dome. Not a long hike and next to nothing for gain but it gets you to a very nice section of the Tuolumne River.

Do you agree with plawerence that earlier (May/June) is better? Thanks for the tip!
March 17, 2014 05:00AM
MDDub
Do you agree with plawerence that earlier (May/June) is better? Thanks for the tip!

Yes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login