All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

March 26, 2014 07:07AM

Gr8 Pizza

smiling smiley

on related note... I'd like to know ... I always thought the archie thingie above the Ahwahnee was "THE Church Bowl".
Just left of Royal Arch Cascade... and well left / west of THE Royal Arches.
I guess there is Church Tower which is even further west...
The powers that be put a bit of rock work at the start of Royal Arch Cascade up... so... of course... we had to
climb up it a bit... and, having been up to Z Bathtub... we just kept climbing up and and up...
and then came down the rocks... good fun... (I know cause the wifie said so)

And, quite simply... if forum members want more piz and stuff.. then if u go... show...
It's a big reason I don't do many TRs...
And, Max, cmon... really... where's the darn Moon pix?

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 26, 2014 07:12AM
I guess on the right there is Church Tower.

So question was simply:

In 2nd pix above (the one without the pizza in it)... Is that The Church Bowl?

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: wont sum?
March 26, 2014 10:09AM
Hmm... Not sure what is officially "Church Bowl" but I think on the right side of your last pic is the Bishop's Terrace. At least there is a climb that goes up the buttress there called as such. There's a reference in the Roper climbing guide somewhere to the names of the formations.
March 26, 2014 10:34AM
Are you threatening us mr chick-on? With no more pix and storeez?

Heck, I read, with great interest, almost every report you do. And I would love to chime in with a pix or two, but can't attach a photo from my files on this forum. faceybook has got increasing slow to load a photo there, so to do that just to post here is tedious.

Rural dialy-up sux Pounding head on desk
March 26, 2014 03:23PM
Hey, I wrote a TR for my last trip to Yosemite. I just don't get out often enough! sad smiley
March 26, 2014 06:39PM
Can't hikey walkie any long distances any more so I don't have anything exciting to post. Plus I am not the picture taker in my family so it is hard to get the ones that do to give them to me. Now if you want to hear about all my driving trips and my short little hikes I will be happy to oblige. If you don't post then I would even be able to hike vicariously through you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2014 06:41PM by parklover.
March 26, 2014 07:20PM
OK, I'll bite...is that a Curry pizza and you are in front of the fire place in the Curry cafeteria lobby?
March 26, 2014 10:33PM
You got me thinking more about the Church Bowl...where and what exactly is it. I seem to recall the trail on the north side of the valley, just north of Ahwahnee Meadow, having some information about a man made amphitheater type area that was, in fact, used for church services.

So looking into this a bit further, I found the following NPS link here which states:
" When the Ahwahnee Hotel was dedicated in August 1926, plans were unveiled for a much larger church to be built a short distance from the Hotel. The plans were, however, eventually downgraded to an outdoor facility, the Church Bowl, that supplemented the pastoral needs of Valley residents and visitors for several years"

I also checked a number of old hiking and climbing handbooks, and came up with this view of the area from Roper's "Climber's Guide to Yosemite Valley". You can see your arch area in the shaded part of the drawing, but Roper doesn't even bother to label it.

So I think that the "Church Bowl" climbing area is any number of climbs the start up from the man made "Church Bowl".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login