Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tioga Road Plowing to Begin

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Tioga Road Plowing to Begin
April 15, 2014 11:24AM
Yosemite Road crew will begin plowing Tioga Road on Wednesday, April 16. To ensure a safe operation no traffic (foot, bike or administrative) will be allowed on the road during scheduled work hours of 0630 to 1700, Monday through Friday. For access outside of those hours please contact the appropriate District Ranger. There will be no avalanche requirement as the snow levels are extremely low.
avatar Re: Tioga Road Plowing to Begin
April 15, 2014 10:21PM
Sweet! Only a matter of time until Tuolumne is reachable.
April 17, 2014 11:01AM
120 is open to the pass from the east side
April 17, 2014 12:01PM
*Happy Dance*

If we're going to have a drought, might as well enjoy the open passes! Hoping sonora happens soon.
April 17, 2014 02:29PM
Monitor Pass (Hwy 89) is already open, hopefully Hwy 4 along with Sonora Pass (Hwy 108) isn't to far behind.

But isn't time for us to make our annual Tioga Pass opening day predictions?

April 17, 2014 03:20PM
Didn't Sonora Pass already open (and subsequently close again) a few weeks ago?

Given how little snow there was from the Foresta/OBOFRT trailhead to El Cap last weekend (the only significant snow was from the saddle above Ribbon Meadow to just past Ribbon Creek), I'd guess an opening in late April. The open, south-facing areas seem dry to at least 9,000':

What normally keeps the road closed is the risk of avalanches in certain sections, such as Olmstead Point, which I suspect is already dry. For comparison, here is Olmstead Point on April 29, 2012, when the snowpack was roughly twice what it is this year:

The longer-term forecast is hinting at a few more systems hitting the Sierra, but none look substantial.
April 18, 2014 02:39PM
calipidder
Hoping sonora happens soon.

Your wish is my command: it's open now.
April 17, 2014 07:07PM
Apparently they've reached pircupine flat in 1 day
April 18, 2014 09:43PM
when the road will be open is problematic. If you look at historical openings, you find when the snowpack was 31%, it opened on Apr 29.

However, that was 1988, and there have been dramatic changes in the technology and skill in doing this roadwork.

My guess is that the snow is not the issue, but rather road edge repair and signage replacement. But with so much less snow, I'll bet that will be relatively trivial, compared to normal.

So my thought is that the limiting factor will be the seasonal employees needed to have the road open: LEO's, etc.

with todays progress, I think they could have it open sooner, but I think they'll open it on the 28th. If they are really aggressive with staffing, perhaps the 25th, which is probably logistically possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2014 10:21AM by Ken M.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login