Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: A Short History of the Oddly-Named Housekeeping Camp in Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar A Short History of the Oddly-Named Housekeeping Camp in Yosemite
April 15, 2014 12:36PM

Housekeeping Tent at Camp 16 from the Yosemite National Park Research Library

“Located on the Merced River in Yosemite Valley with an unusual name, Housekeeping Camp straddles the line between camping and hotel accommodations and inspires fierce loyalty among park visitors..."

Read more at: blog.yosemitepark.com: A Short History of the Oddly-Named Housekeeping Camp in Yosemite

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2016 08:49PM by plawrence.
avatar Re: A Short History of the Oddly-Named Housekeeping Camp in Yosemite
April 15, 2014 01:01PM
Very interesting reading, I learned a lot about Housekeeping I didn't know. Thanks for posting it.
April 15, 2014 02:52PM
I always wondered about the name. I used to think that park employees stayed there.
April 15, 2014 10:46PM
Housekeeping Camp made the transition from canvas tents on wooden platforms to concrete walls on a slab the winter of 1968/1969. I worked for the Curry Co. in Housekeeping the first part of Summer, '69 then switched to NPS campground maintenance the latter half. Good times!
May 14, 2016 09:07AM
Hello,
I am trying to find out how the concrete slabs of Housekeeping camp were built. Are they built from cinder block? I noticed a canvas pattern on the side of the walls. Any information you can give as to how these were built would be appreciated.

Gary Roche
May 15, 2016 10:55AM
groche51
Hello,
I am trying to find out how the concrete slabs of Housekeeping camp were built. Are they built from cinder block? I noticed a canvas pattern on the side of the walls. Any information you can give as to how these were built would be appreciated.

Gary Roche

This won't directly answer your question, but here is an interesting article in a 1961 issue of the Yosemite Sentinel about the first pilot (modern) Housekeeping Camp unit that was erected ( "a conglomerate of Merced river pebbles", good luck getting environmental approval to do that today! Probably require a ten year study! Head roll)
Scroll down the page to the August 25th, 1961 issue, story is on the top right corner of the 1st page:

First Pilot Housekeeping Camp Unit
May 14, 2016 10:35AM
plawrence

Housekeeping Tent at Camp 16 from the Yosemite National Park Research Library

“Located on the Merced River in Yosemite Valley with an unusual name, Housekeeping Camp straddles the line between camping and hotel accommodations and inspires fierce loyalty among park visitors..."

Read more at: blog.yosemitepark.com: A Short History of the Oddly-Named Housekeeping Camp in Yosemite

For some reason the link is not working correctly for me. It sent me to the Time Warner Search engine and then when I found the blog only the first part can be read.
May 14, 2016 12:52PM
May 14, 2016 02:50PM
The Other Tom
Try this link
http://shawnebell.com/yosemites-housekeeping-camp/
When I hit the here at the bottom where it says "you can read the whole post here," it does the same thing.
May 15, 2016 09:43AM
parklover
For some reason the link is not working correctly for me. It sent me to the Time Warner Search engine and then when I found the blog only the first part can be read.

That's TWC messing with your DNS results. The real error:

Unable to determine IP address from host name "www.blog.yosemitepark.com
May 15, 2016 09:59AM
Which is more oddly named: Housekeeping Camp or
The Majestic Yosemite Hotel?
May 14, 2016 08:47PM
Saving the text of the article for posterity before it goes the way of the dodo:

Edit: please respect copyrights

Leave No Trace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2016 09:45AM by eeek.
May 14, 2016 10:55PM
Thank you for posting the rest of the article.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login