All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 22, 2014 10:57PM
I'll be in Yosemite for a week starting June 1. Among other thing I plan to hike up the Mist Trail at least up to Vernal Fall. With such a dry winter I'm not sure what to expect in the way of "mist" along the hike. I'll also be carrying a dslr in a backpack. I plan to take it out and use it quite a bit but am not sure how to keep the lens dry enough not to ruin the photos. I can live with the camera getting a bit wet but don't want big drops on the lens when shooting. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Re: Mist Trail in June?
April 23, 2014 06:36AM
It'll likely be dry - and stupidly crowded, so don't go without straps or some method of keeping it from being jostled out of your hands.
April 23, 2014 07:00AM
Currently, the predicted peak water flow is in mid May this year. It is supposed to rain and snow this week and who knows if any more or a larger storm will come in the next few weeks that will affect that prediction. Even if there are no more storms, it is not going to be dry on the Mist Trail by the first week of June and remember the wind does blow water onto the trail.
April 23, 2014 08:43AM
parklover
Currently, the predicted peak water flow is in mid May this year. It is supposed to rain and snow this week and who knows if any more or a larger storm will come in the next few weeks that will affect that prediction. Even if there are no more storms, it is not going to be dry on the Mist Trail by the first week of June and remember the wind does blow water onto the trail.

Thanks. I didn't know about the predicted peak flow. I expected it to be wet to some degree. And I will have a small towell in my backpack to try and dry the lens. I've just had no experience trying to take photos in that environment of mist flying everywhere. My objective is just to try and keep the lens dry enough so the photos aren't a mess due to water on the lens. I've had no real photo experience anywhere in wet wether.

I'm also not expecting it to be that crowded at that time since it is prior to school being out and because park stats indicate visitors at that time of year are pretty close to the numbers I see in October when I've gone a few times before.
April 23, 2014 02:26PM
I will ask my husband if he has any suggestions since he has taken pictures in wet weather. Some CA schools get out during that week but it never gets that crowded the first week of June. If you start early in the morning, it will be even less crowded.
April 23, 2014 02:47PM
parklover
I will ask my husband if he has any suggestions since he has taken pictures in wet weather. Some CA schools get out during that week but it never gets that crowded the first week of June. If you start early in the morning, it will be even less crowded.

Thank you.

Yeah, I haven't figured out the time of day yet. I want to avoid the half sun, half shadow shots of the Fall. And I think there is a time of day when you can possibly make rainbows but I don't know if that conflicts with the sun/shadow thing I just mentioned. I'll have to check my Michael Frye app/book as well as his blog. Regardless of any of that I am planning to have a great time. A whole week this time. thumbs up
April 23, 2014 05:16PM
parklover
If you start early in the morning, it will be even less crowded.

But it will also be colder.
April 23, 2014 08:40PM
eeek
parklover
If you start early in the morning, it will be even less crowded.

But it will also be colder.

I am a heat wimp so I rather it be cold and put on a layer.
April 23, 2014 07:40PM
If it's misty enough you're not going to have a chance, there's going to be droplets on the lens, all you can do is try to reduce them.
Pull the camera out and do the initial setup with it with it in front of you with your back to the blowing mist, i.e. your back is getting wet from the mist, not the camera.
Wait for a lull in the wind/mist and quickly turn around, compose the shot, <*SNAP*>, turn back around and chimp to see how the shot turned out.
April 23, 2014 08:02PM
qumqats
If it's misty enough you're not going to have a chance, there's going to be droplets on the lens, all you can do is try to reduce them.
Pull the camera out and do the initial setup with it with it in front of you with your back to the blowing mist, i.e. your back is getting wet from the mist, not the camera.
Wait for a lull in the wind/mist and quickly turn around, compose the shot, <*SNAP*>, turn back around and chimp to see how the shot turned out.

Thanks. I'll probably try that and anything else I can think of. I really would like to use a tripod though on some of the shots.
April 24, 2014 07:01AM
parklover

It was dry a couple weeks ago except for twenty feet of steps near the top.

I doubt it will go much more than that even in peak flow in that second week of May, and by June it will possibly get your cheeks wet.
April 23, 2014 06:01PM
In my experience, the trail is pretty dry. The mist was isolated to the stretch leading up to Vernal, and at the base of Nevada.
April 23, 2014 09:30PM
i was just there on Friday and it was crowded -- definitely hike early to avoid the crowds, especially if you're going to try to take photos w/a tripod. it was also really, really wet - the volume of water was unbelievable. spectacular. even with this "dry" year we're having. have fun and good luck with the camera!
April 24, 2014 07:18AM
We should be soaked and drenched at the bottom of the steps, and bombarded all the way to the top and a little beyond. It is miserably dry this year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login