Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Sierra Point "trail"improved

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Sierra Point "trail"improved
April 28, 2014 09:24AM
Took a quick trip out to the valley this past weekend. With little time available, took a quick hike to Sierra Point. Great views of all four falls running mightily. Didn't see anyone on the way up/down Sierra Point. Compared to the last time I was up that trail (about 3.5 years ago) it seems to have improved. Not sure if it is informal maintenance by users, or just more usage making the trail more evident (if you know what you're looking for). Anyone else notice this?

After returning to the Rock Pile sign, we went up Mist Trail to Vernal Fall. Wow, that was crowded - and often by users that seemed oblivious to anyone else being on the trail. I'm surprised there aren't more injuries simply from missteps and/or lack of attentive foot placements. It's encouraging to see people out enjoying the park, in any case. More potential park advocates.
avatar Re: Sierra Point "trail"improved
April 28, 2014 11:31AM
The Sierra Point trail has seen a lot more use in recent years which I would attribute largely to the Internet. Trail improvements supplied by Google.

My annual warning:

If you are on this trail, pay a healthy measure of respect to gravity, not for your sake but those who may be under you. You may not be able to see them.

1) Much of the trail is very, very loose. Moreover, it zig-zags through multiple sections of loose rock as it ascends. Step carefully.

2) If you do happen to knock a rock, large or small, and it rolls down out of your sight, yell ROCK at the top of your lungs to warn those who may be in the path of your rockfall.

3) If you hear someone yell ROCK or hear rockfall above you, move as close to the wall as quickly as possible and hope that the rock will fly over you.

I took a friend up there a couple of weeks ago, almost got brained got by a football-sized chunk of granite delivered by some idiots who failed to observe rules 1 & 2. Rule 3 saved our bacon.

I imagine the regulars on this forum are aware of this - consider it a Public Service Announcement - please pass it along. Thank you.
April 29, 2014 03:20PM
Can't wait to see your pictures!!
April 30, 2014 10:07AM
@QITNL your public service announcement is quite right. What I found surprising was that I found a route (it wasn't very difficult) that had few areas where loose rock would be a problem. Your advice is important notwithstanding.

@Torero14 sorry, no pictures this day. Just a quick day trip.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login