Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tioga Pass Road opens May 2nd!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tioga Pass Road opens May 2nd!
May 01, 2014 09:18AM
http://www.nps.gov/yose/parknews/tioga-road-in-yosemite-national-park-to-open-tomorrow-friday-may-2-at-noon.htm

"Date: May 1, 2014
Visitors urged to take safety precautions while traveling on road

The Tioga Road in Yosemite National Park will open for the season tomorrow, tomorrow, Friday, May 2, 2014, at noon for all vehicular traffic. The Tioga Road, bounded on both sides by State Highway 120, is the popular east-west crossing of the Sierra Nevada. Vault toilets are available in several locations along the road. Limited visitor services will be available over the next several weeks.

Due to a light snowpack this past winter (approximately 30% of normal), the Tioga Road was cleared of snow early into the season. Snow and icy conditions may still exist on hiking trails at the higher elevations. Visitors are urged to be prepared for snowy conditions and possible treacherous stream crossings while hiking the backcountry in the early season.

All campgrounds along the Tioga Road are closed. All commercial services, including the gas station, store, and village grill, are also closed. There are no anticipated opening dates for any of these facilities."
May 01, 2014 12:07PM
avatar Re: Tioga Pass Road opens May 2nd!
May 01, 2014 02:01PM
Time for a road trip!
May 01, 2014 03:13PM
Damn!

The Missus and I will be in Paso Robles, wine-tasting.

The week after, perhaps, before the dogwood bloom is done.
May 02, 2014 04:29PM
Camped at lower lee vining tonight. Heading home over the pass tomorrow. Good timing for us.
May 02, 2014 08:54PM
Strix
Camped at lower lee vining tonight. Heading home over the pass tomorrow. Good timing for us.

Did you fish Lee Vining Creek?
avatar Tioga Pass Road opened May 2nd!
May 02, 2014 09:05PM
Dana Meadows and Mt. Dana:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/mtdana14.jpg.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2014 10:21PM by eeek.
May 03, 2014 05:54AM
Didn't fish. Saw two fishermen, no fish. Peaceful campground.
May 03, 2014 09:17AM
It was snowier up there than I thought it would be
May 03, 2014 03:11PM
hikerchick395
It was snowier up there than I thought it would be

Yes, but the meadow was almost completely free of snow.
May 03, 2014 03:55PM
would love to hear early glen aulin reports re trail conditions and stream crossings
May 03, 2014 08:05PM
"Tioga Road in Yosemite opens on earliest date since 1988"

An article in the Mercury News has a nice bar graph of the opening dates since 1970:

http://www.mercurynews.com/News/ci_25685400/California-drought:-Tioga-Road-in-Yosemite
May 03, 2014 09:32PM
Here's the graph:

Since its latest opening (July 1 in 1998), Tioga Road has opened in May 75% of the time (12 out of 16 years).

May 05, 2014 08:39AM
We drove up to Tioga Pass bright and early May 3.

I guess that worked, so I'll add some more.

Tenaya Lake had a bit of ice left. Olmsted Point was dry, as was the road the whole way across. The last pic is glacial polish at Olmsted above the road. We stopped for a hike at Tuolumne Grove; interesting to see the fire effects there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2014 08:48AM by Strix.
May 05, 2014 09:54AM
Strix
We stopped for a hike at Tuolumne Grove; interesting to see the fire effects there.

You can't tease us with a comment like that and not follow up! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out So, what effects were there?
May 05, 2014 11:08AM
There was moderate to heavy damage all along the mile hike down to the grove, but much less in the grove, mostly ground fire. The Sequoias were unharmed except for some scorched lower branches. Maybe some new seedlings will show up in the bare soil. There are some nice Dogwood flowers down there. It will be a good place to watch forest recovery in the coming years.
May 05, 2014 11:22AM
Thanks, Strix. I thought I remembered reading that the grove was pretty much unharmed but I didn't realize any part of the fire had gotten that close (thought it mostly was further to the north through that area).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login