Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Re: glen aulin 2014 trail conditions?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

glen aulin 2014 trail conditions?
May 03, 2014 04:02PM
has anyone been out that way yet? how are trail conditions and stream crossings?

trailblazers, plz respond.
May 06, 2014 06:55AM
It'll have snow and standing water from melting snow. Just because the pass is open doesn't mean all the snow is gone. It's melting fast, but there was a few feet on the pass when it opened. Traditionally there is a segment of trail that can be in knee deep water during the melt. Rivers and streams are high, and will be til the melt's done - don't hesitate to turn around if it's too dangerous.
May 12, 2014 10:45PM
Out there this past weekend may 10-11.

If using main trail from TM, patches of snow, easy, solid when cold, post-holey as it warms.

Creek crossings were easy. Can use log over first, or walk through as I did and only mid-calf as I tried to find a deep spot near main crossing. I like it colder and deeper (but not too fast moving) to cover my knees. I was disappointed.

Second creek's strands were barely at ankle.

In Glen Aulin proper, flooded section of trail was in two very short sections (compared to more normal years) and only one part was cold enough to feel *really* good. Saw fish swimming where I was walking, which was fun.

Got flurried on when returning to camp in the glen Saturday evening. While in the cold water. Loved it!

Fair warning: do not attempt walking in cold water when snow falls if you don't have warm, dry gear waiting for you in the not-too-distant future! smiling smiley

No skeeters yet. TR coming from some bird brain soon, maybe.
avatar Re: glen aulin 2014 trail conditions?
May 13, 2014 12:14AM
I was in Tuolumne Meadows on Saturday too (in the afternoon). Just a short afternoon hike along Pothole Dome and a little bit beyond.

Here are a few photos that I took with my iPhone (including one of the snow flurries hitting Tuolumne Meadows right after I got back to my car):

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login