Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

suggestion for 2 days backpacking trip

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

suggestion for 2 days backpacking trip
May 13, 2014 05:59PM
We (group of 3) are looking forward to backpack in Yosemite NP during late july/early august. We have plans for 2 days of trip. We have backpacked once on our way to Mt Whitney summit last summer, hence we are not first-timers although we are yet to test our route-finding skills. For our 2 days trip, we are looking something like 18-20miles of trail and elevation shouldn't be of much issue. The main idea of this trip would be to explore yosemite and its beauty.

I would greatly appreciate if you folks can suggest a few trails. For the permits, I am thinking of walking upto the permit station a day before and try to get.

Thanks in advance!
badmad

PS: one person from tripadvisor forum recommended me to here as this has more backpackers.
Re: suggestion for 2 days backpacking trip
May 14, 2014 06:33AM
Got a map? Check out the trailheads from Tioga Road and make your plan.

Young Lakes, Ten Lakes, Mono or Parker Pass, any of 'em will be good.

Don't forget your bear can and to leave your itinerary with someone - use reconn.org if you don't want to work too hard.
May 14, 2014 09:41AM
thanks very much.

Nope, i don't have a map yet. Does this look good?
http://smile.amazon.com/206--Yosemite-National-Park-Ti/dp/1566952999/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400085442&sr=8-1&keywords=yosemite+map

This map is of Scale = 1:80,000 & 1:40,000 Size: 38'' x 26''. Is it sufficient?
avatar Re: suggestion for 2 days backpacking trip
May 14, 2014 10:30AM
May 17, 2014 02:07PM
badmad
Does this look good?
http://smile.amazon.com/206--Yosemite-National-Park-Ti/dp/1566952999/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400085442&sr=8-1&keywords=yosemite+map

This map is of Scale = 1:80,000 & 1:40,000 Size: 38'' x 26''.

Sounds fine, haven't tried it, but heard that Nat'l Geo maps are good. On-trail, I use the 1:63360 Tom Harrison maps. Off-trail, I prefer 1:24000 U.S.G.S. maps, which they sell at the permit office.
May 14, 2014 09:46AM
badmad
We (group of 3) are looking forward to backpack in Yosemite NP during late july/early august. We have plans for 2 days of trip. We have backpacked once on our way to Mt Whitney summit last summer, hence we are not first-timers although we are yet to test our route-finding skills. For our 2 days trip, we are looking something like 18-20miles of trail and elevation shouldn't be of much issue. The main idea of this trip would be to explore yosemite and its beauty.

I would greatly appreciate if you folks can suggest a few trails. For the permits, I am thinking of walking upto the permit station a day before and try to get.

Thanks in advance!
badmad

PS: one person from tripadvisor forum recommended me to here as this has more backpackers.

It might help a bit to know if you like mountains, lakes, big meadows, etc....

What type of things do you want to see the most?
May 14, 2014 09:55AM
hey tanngrisnir3, thanks for the message!

more than meadows, i would say lakes and mountains are interesting to us. Also, a trail which is not a whole lot crowded is what i have in mind. Backpacking with a lot of folks on the trail doesn't make it very interesting.
May 14, 2014 10:01AM
badmad
hey tanngrisnir3, thanks for the message!

more than meadows, i would say lakes and mountains are interesting to us. Also, a trail which is not a whole lot crowded is what i have in mind. Backpacking with a lot of folks on the trail doesn't make it very interesting.

In that case, Young Lakes. About 7 miles in.

http://www.everytrail.com/guide/upper-young-lakes-loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk85ZtHmdNU

http://www.thebackcountry.org/trailhead/backpacking-trips/young-lakes/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2014 10:02AM by tanngrisnir3.
May 16, 2014 11:07AM
thank you!

i have a general question. how can i find out the elevation change on these trails, just to get an idea of what I am getting into? pls let me know.
May 16, 2014 01:19PM
badmad
thank you!

i have a general question. how can i find out the elevation change on these trails, just to get an idea of what I am getting into? pls let me know.

This is a profile of the trail starting at the Young Lakes via Glen Aulin Trailhead (22C) and going up by Dingley Creek. The flat spot by the two humps at 7 miles is the Lower Young Lake shore. The trip back is via Dog Lake and Lembert Dome. Try to take the short spur to Dog Lake and also take the use trail to the top of Lembert Dome if you feel up to it.

If you can't get a Glen Aulin trailhead (22C) permit then do the hike in reverse and start at TM using the Young Lakes via Dog Lake trailhead (23).

Old Dude
May 17, 2014 08:34AM
Don't let the profile scare you. This does represent 14+ miles. There are no 70 degree inclines! Hee hee!winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login