Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (81% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Sunrise HSC to Clouds Rest to Merced HSC?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Sunrise HSC to Clouds Rest to Merced HSC?
May 15, 2014 05:14PM
My family and I are lucky enough to be heading to the High Sierra Camps this summer. We have one night at Sunrise, two at Merced, then two at Vogelsang. We really want to get to Clouds Rest but since we only have one night at Sunrise, we won't be able to make it a day hike. We were wondering about going from Sunrise to Clouds Rest and then from Clouds Rest to Merced HSC all in one day. So instead of going Sunrise to Merced via the "usual" route, we would go via Cloud's Rest. I'm just wanting to know if this is doable, how hard it is, how many miles it would be in one day, etc. Or would it be just crazy and insane to do this? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
avatar Re: Sunrise HSC to Clouds Rest to Merced HSC?
May 15, 2014 08:29PM
Backtrack from the Sunrise HSC to the Clouds Rest junction, go to CR and back to the junction, then take the trail to Echo Valley to Merced Lake HSC. This route is 14 miles long. The shorter routes from Sunrise HSC to Merced HCS are 10.5 miles and 9.6 miles. The elevation going to CR is not too bad from Sunrise Lakes. Plus you will be traveling light.

Old Dude
May 16, 2014 12:10PM
Thanks for the response. Do you happen to have a link to a map that would show the route you are suggesting? Also, do you have an estimate of how many miles to CR from the CR junction you refer to? And one last question do you have an opinion as to whether the wool blankets provided by the HSC are enough to keep you warm or do you recommend bringing a down sleeping bag? I definitely don't want to be cold and am willing to take a sleeping bag, but if the wool blankets are enough and they are in good condition, I'd be ok with that. Thank!
avatar Re: Sunrise HSC to Clouds Rest to Merced HSC?
May 16, 2014 01:43PM
cathycsr
Thanks for the response. Do you happen to have a link to a map that would show the route you are suggesting? Also, do you have an estimate of how many miles to CR from the CR junction you refer to? And one last question do you have an opinion as to whether the wool blankets provided by the HSC are enough to keep you warm or do you recommend bringing a down sleeping bag? I definitely don't want to be cold and am willing to take a sleeping bag, but if the wool blankets are enough and they are in good condition, I'd be ok with that. Thank!

I know nothing of the blankets at the HSCs but have not read of any complaints about guests being cold. I would suggest a pair of thick wool socks and a head cap for sleeping in addition to whatever you would normally wear. I'm sure you can get an extra blanket if needed. I doubt that you will need to drag along a sleeping bag. Others will chime in on this.

The distance from the CR junction to the top of CR is 1.55 miles one way with an elevation gain of 460 feet.
If you have not been to the top of CR then don't pass up this opportunity. You will have already done all the hard climbing by the time you reach the Sunrise HSC.

Old Dude

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2014 01:50PM by mrcondron.
May 16, 2014 04:06PM
The blankets are fine, more than fine. The tents at Sunrise HSC have wood burning stoves. The one night I stayed there, one of my tent mates kept the stove burning all night long, you could have grown orchids in there it was so hot. Merced Lake doesn't have the wood stoves. Being at lower elevation it's not as cold.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login