Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Mosquitos!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Mosquitos!
June 02, 2014 09:02AM
Any thoughts about the mosquito situation at Tuolumne Meadows area? Looking to go towards end of June for some backpacking. Went last year in July assuming since it was such a dry winter mosquitos would be gone by then - wrong!
June 02, 2014 09:48AM
Take lots of Deet . . .use it sparingly but it sure beats the bites.
June 02, 2014 05:48PM
It is illegal to feed wildlife, so, don't get bitten.
June 02, 2014 07:55PM
Dave
It is illegal to feed wildlife, so, don't get bitten.

And since it is illegal to kill wildlife: No swatting.
June 02, 2014 08:08PM
The female mosquito is the one that bites. She can see the CO2 in your breath. If you don't breathe, she can't find you. The female is also bigger, beats her wings slower, and therefore has a lower pitched whine. So, if you hear a high pitched mosquito, you're safe.
June 02, 2014 08:57PM
meadow = grass = wet = mosquito love it

One very key bit of wisdom of many I could add is during squeeter season DO NOT belong to the massive army whose uniform is

t-shirt and shorts

http://www.davidsenesac.com
June 02, 2014 09:26PM
So, I guess the answer to my question is that there will be mosquitoes, so be prepared! Thanks all!
June 03, 2014 09:26AM
June 03, 2014 10:41PM
DavidSenesac
meadow = grass = wet = mosquito love it

One very key bit of wisdom of many I could add is during squeeter season DO NOT belong to the massive army whose uniform is

t-shirt and shorts

Agreed. I've been here since Sunday. Swatted a lot of skeeters but haven't found any bites yet. Arms and legs fully covered as well as head, neck, and ears. So far, so good. :-)
June 03, 2014 09:59PM
June 13, 2014 01:08PM
It's a bad sign when you see mosquitoes at the baseball park. It means the bats aren't working!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login