Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (87% of Full)

Advanced

Roadsite Geology and Mining History—Owens Valley and Mono Basin

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Roadsite Geology and Mining History—Owens Valley and Mono Basin
June 09, 2014 12:26PM
Points of interest in this guidebook are described in the text with the notation (#00) correspond to points on the road and geologic maps of this guide with an orange triangle. Several images are also duplicated from DNG CD 98-001 “California Gold Mines: A Sesquicentennial Photograph Collection”. These are noted in the photos of this guide as “1998, CGS.”

Mine Production Statistics
All mine production values are from county reports. Most of those values were presented in dollars. They have been converted in this guide to ounces using the assumption that between 1849 and 1949 the average value of gold produced from the gold mines in California was $25.00 per ounce.

Mileage Markers
Whenever possible, this field guide is keyed to highway mileage posts with the denotation "MP."

Maps
This road guide has two sets of maps. There are four regional maps printed at a scale of 1:50,000. These are compiled from 1:250,000 California Geological Survey (CGS) topographic maps. The geology for these maps is from the USGS digitized 1:750,000 scale map of California.
These maps are designed to be printed on a 36 inch-wide plotter. The regional maps are designed to be printed at a page size of 36 inches by 44 inches.

The second set of maps is produced at a various scales These use the same 1:750,000 scale geologic map base as the regional maps, but use the 1:24,000 scale USGS topographic maps to depict location. These maps also contain mine and mineral occurrence site locations from the
MRDS dataset of USGS and the MAS data set from the former Bureau of Mines.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/ca/pdf/bakersfield/geology.Par.56332.File.dat/ovm07_guidebook.pdf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login