Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Mystery of the High Sierra Piute Highway

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Mystery of the High Sierra Piute Highway
June 15, 2014 12:31AM
Re: Mystery of the High Sierra Piute Highway
June 15, 2014 10:22PM
I suspect that you have encountered a brief mention of a pet project by a former California legislator B. F. "Bernie" Sisk (1910-1995). Every couple of years, Congressman Sisk would mention the need for a trans-Sierra highway - and the fur would fly!
avatar Re: Mystery of the High Sierra Piute Highway
June 16, 2014 09:39AM
I just like digging out the history of these old plans.
June 16, 2014 10:57AM
eeek

I just like digging out the history of these old plans.

Well then you'll want to read this 100+ page 2008 Master thesis on this topic done by a grad student at the University of Maryland:

(It's in a PDF format too.)

To Render Inaccessible: The Sierra Club's Changing Attitude Toward Roadbuilding by Jason Schultz

June 16, 2014 03:00PM
Master of what?
June 16, 2014 05:17PM
An M.A. in History.

(It's noted on the first page of the thesis.)
June 16, 2014 10:34AM
"Mystery" PDF
It does make sense, though, that as governor of California, Reagan may have decided against another, nearby (a few miles to the north) trans-Sierra highway route, between Bass Lake (on the west) and Mammoth (on the east). That particular potential route was eventually fully sealed off when Congress established the Ansel Adams Wilderness between Bass Lake and Mammoth in 1972.

Sometime in the '90s, eating breakfast at Reds Meadow, I saw a newspaper clipping from 1971 or so on the wall discussing this, it was, as the author notes, the Bass Lake to Mammoth route.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login