Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Re: OT: Driving question, Kings Canyon from LA

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

OT: Driving question, Kings Canyon from LA
June 20, 2014 06:22AM
I know this isn't the correct message board, but I though that I could get a quick answer.
I am driving (caravanning) with my sons boy scout troop to Kings Canyon/Sequoia today.

I am trying to convince the scoutmaster to stay on 99 to 41 to 180. Google maps says that getting off at Visalia, then cutting north through the County Roads to 180 is the shortest way. I have been on that route before, and I think it is actually slower. The difference in mileage is about 30 miles, but I think staying on the bigger highway is better, even with going through Fresno around 5 PM. The scoutmaster insists that the Visalia/county road route is the better way.
Any thoughts?
June 20, 2014 07:00AM
Tell him to stay on the highways. Google maps will show you the difference in travel time between the routes - you can drag the route around and get estimates that way.
June 20, 2014 09:26PM
I have driven both ways many, many times.

The back way used to be shorter, but the completion of the freeways have made that faster.

However, I think it is nearly terminally boring. The Visalia route is much more interesting, particularly when you get into the farmlands.

Personally, I make the decision on the road, and how I'm feeling. Some great mexican restaurants on the back road, but still McD's and gas.
I don't think the time is significant enough to worry about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2014 11:21PM by Ken M.
Re: OT: Driving question, Kings Canyon from LA - update
June 22, 2014 03:38PM
OK, just back from our SEKI trip.

We went through the county roadsgoing and coming, and it wasn't as bad as I remember (not having done it for some 14 years). I still would like to compare the 99 -41-180 route.
Parts of the Visalia area were fairly interesting. Driving through the groves areas were OK as well.
Our hand( along with everyone else's) was actually forced to exit the 99, as there was a huge accident on the 99 just before Visalia; The 99 was shut down at 4:00, we were stuck for 1.5 hours without moving.

We stayed at the Sunset campground in Kings Canyon. We saw the Generals Sherman and Grant trees, went to Crystal Cave. I saw more bears, 5 bears, plus 2 sets of twin cubs, than all of my 50-some trips to Yosemite.
Some of the Scouts in my kids troop are annoying, but most are good kids.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2014 06:23PM by snorkus.
avatar Re: OT: Driving question, Kings Canyon from LA - update
June 23, 2014 01:20AM
snorkus

I saw more bears, 5 bears, plus 2 sets of twin cubs, than all of my 50-some trips to Yosemite.

Yup.

If one wants to see bears in California, one should go to Sequoia and King Canyon National Parks and not Yosemite.

From mid-spring to mid-fall, it's practically impossible not to spot multiple bears while visiting Sequoia. Sometimes I feel that bears in Sequoia are as common as deers in Yosemite.

(I don't think that's actually the case, but at times it feels like it.)

avatar Re: OT: Driving question, Kings Canyon from LA
June 21, 2014 10:27AM
This is definitely on topic. A question about SEKI is definitely Sierra Nevada, as would be questions about Tahoe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login