Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Anyone been to Toulumne Meadows recently?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Anyone been to Toulumne Meadows recently?
June 20, 2014 03:04PM
I'm wondering what the wild flowers and mosquitoes are like right now. Probably heading up next weekend.
June 21, 2014 07:26AM
We got back Thursday after three nights at TM CG. The low overnight temps were 30, 28, 33. No mosquitos in camp; got swarmed at Elizabeth lake when out of the wind. Everything looks like mid-summer dry up there. Not a lot of wildflowers, some shooting stars in wet spots, penstamons, phlox etc. Lupines, several varieties, are just starting to flower.
June 21, 2014 08:21AM
Glad to hear the mosquitoes aren't that bad around the camp. Was it at least nice and green?
June 29, 2014 11:12PM
Would love to hear the mosqiuto report when you get back, MDUB. Planning a trip to Tuolumne this coming weekend...
July 04, 2014 08:52PM
scooterm
Would love to hear the mosqiuto report when you get back, MDUB. Planning a trip to Tuolumne this coming weekend...

We were there from Sunday to Weds. Mosquitoes weren't too bad in the day time and were almost non existent where there wasn't a body of water. I spent an evening in the meadow by the river watching the sun set and the mosquitoes weren't too bad but bring your Deet because they are there. Driving back to Lee Vining that night, I went through so many mosquitoes at two different points that it looked like it was snowing in my headlights. A morning stop at the Nunatak Tioga Tarns was beautiful but lots of mosquitoes because the water wasn't moving. We strolled through the meadow one day and did the Pothole Dome hike another and I came away with two bites but that was because I started out with no bug spray both times. All in all, it isn't too bad.

On another note, the meadow was fairly green but also a little brown with not too many flowers. I'm not sure if we were a couple of weeks too early or too late. Still aboslutely beautiful though. I hope you have a great time!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2014 08:53PM by MDDub.
July 01, 2014 07:16PM
Fabulous a week ago...wish we were there now.
July 01, 2014 07:24PM
We were there Tuesday, hiking from Pothole Dome to Glen Aulin, Skeeters in the middle of the day were still noticeable, was glad we weren't staying the night. River was lovely, but dropping fast. And a lot of the flowers may have already bloomed. The meadow itself is already pretty darn brown.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: Anyone been to Toulumne Meadows recently?
July 01, 2014 09:00PM
in one week, return in 2 weeks, I will be staying in Crane flat, but doing all my hiking in TM. Will update
July 03, 2014 05:52PM
I was at TM CG from Sunday to Wednesday. Mosquitoes not bad in camp. I found them mostly when walking through trees and near creeks. The little flies were kind of bothersome in camp at times. I did ask the host at CG when I got there about mosquitoes and he said "next week." I thought maybe I had, hopefully, missed them! The river was awesome and more water than I expected, but still low for July. I took pictures from atop pothole dome - still fairly green and a few wildflowers. I've always been too late for the wildflowers so was happy to see what I did. Lots below Olmsted Point too - plus a Pika! It was absolutely gorgeous all 3 days - did not want to leave! Will be back in August, but don't really want to see the river much lower.
July 08, 2014 08:38PM
I was at Tuolumne campground this past weekend and was amazed at how light the mosquitos were. Spent Thursday night at Yosemite Creek campground and they were horrible there. Much better at Tuolumne.
July 14, 2014 09:02AM
20 June 2014 pre-solstice Tuolumne sunset

July 14, 2014 03:05PM
Great photo! Thanks for taking the time to upload it.
July 17, 2014 09:28PM
I just got back, The mosquitoes were not bad at all. The worse was clouds rest trail. Still not even that was that bad, Did cathedral to matthes, barely any. Hoffman, barely any. Lembert dome, none. Several other hikes in TM, barely any of the blood suckers. There were some, but not bad at all
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login