Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Sequoia Nat'l Park Discussion Group

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Sequoia Nat'l Park Discussion Group
June 23, 2014 05:55PM
Is there a similar discussion group for Sequoia National Park?
avatar Re: Sequoia Nat'l Park Discussion Group
June 23, 2014 07:42PM
There's a SEKI discussion group in Yahoo! Groups, but it's far less active than this forum.

As it was noted recently on another thread, any discussion about SEKI is on-topic on this forum. So feel free to post anything about SEKI here.

But for a SEKI specific forum or message board, the only one I know of right now is in Yahoo! Groups.

June 29, 2014 09:13PM
Best campground for a first time visitor?
June 30, 2014 08:25PM
Hume Lake! Love it there!
June 30, 2014 11:28PM
Paris92

Best campground for a first time visitor?

What would you like to see (or do) at Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks?

Unlike Yosemite — where the main attraction for first-time visitors is the incomparable Yosemite Valley — the attractions of Kings Canyon and Sequoia are more spread out and not concentrated in one central area.

Hence, where you might want to camp is strongly dependent on what areas you might want to explore the most at SEKI.

Also, if you're familiar with and enjoy Yosemite's High Sierra Camps, Sequoia National Park has its own (just one) High Sierra Camp, Bearpaw, located on the High Sierra Trail (HST) about 11 1/2 miles from the HST trailhead.

July 01, 2014 09:22AM
plawrence
Bearpaw, located on the High Sierra Trail (HST) about 11 1/2 miles from the HST trailhead.

With about 4000 feet of gain along the way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2014 09:22AM by eeek.
July 01, 2014 09:59AM
eeek
plawrence

Bearpaw, located on the High Sierra Trail (HST) about 11 1/2 miles from the HST trailhead.

With about 4000 feet of gain along the way.

Well, they don't call it the HIGH SIERRA Trail and the camp, Bearpaw HIGH SIERRA Camp for nothing... wink

July 01, 2014 02:45PM
For Sequoia, I'd say try Lodgepole campground--especially this year since Dorst may close early due to lack of water. There is a shuttle system that provides access to the Sherman Tree, Giant Forest, Crescent Meadow/Moro Rock, and Wolverton--lots of good hiking in those areas. Lodgepole is also close to the visitor center, store and cafeteria.
July 01, 2014 10:32PM
Thanks. I have only begun to research, but Lodgepole has come up a few times. I think this is a good thread.
June 30, 2014 11:41PM
I went down there for the first time a couple of weeks ago to meet a buddy driving up from LA. Equidistant. Father's day. Totally winged it but all the paperwork worked out fine.

Wonderful smogsets. I think this is where hamburgers come from.

Big-ass trees with Flintstone signs.

As far as camping goes, one thing that impressed me was the quality of the dispersed (free) camping in the NF around the NP. Like 20 minutes from Lodgepole. I told a buddy, he went down and found even a better site.
July 01, 2014 10:33PM
Good to know. Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login