Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Hungry Bears

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hungry Bears
July 15, 2014 07:12PM
Yogi Bear and Yosemite

Black bears living in Yosemite National Park in California are shunning human food and returning to their natural diets, research has found.
Unlike Yogi Bear, the cartoon character famously known for his fondness for 'pic-a-nic baskets', the black bears are turning away from raiding visitor’s supplies and going back to a natural diet, after years of dangerously high consumption of processed foods.

Michelle Obama would be proud!
July 15, 2014 07:37PM
Good to see more evidence that the changes have been working.
July 16, 2014 03:36PM
chicagocwright
Yogi Bear and Yosemite

In the linked article above about the Yosemite bears, there is this photo of a waterfall (presumably within Yosemite National Park):

It sort of looks like Waterwheel Fall, but there are too many trees and too little granite in the background, so I think the waterfall is at a lower elevation somewhere in the park (or many not in the park at all – since this is just a stock photo shot and maybe the waterfall is actually located somewhere else).

Does anyone recognize this waterfall and know its name?
July 16, 2014 07:09PM
The water at the very bottom appears to be round, as if coming out of a large pipe. Hetchy?
July 16, 2014 07:15PM
I think you're right! At a time when the overflow channel was running (the water stream on the upper left).
July 16, 2014 10:10PM
Dave,

Great observation! Yeah, that makes sense, the overflow channel of the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir with the Poopenaut Valley in the background.

I've been there when water has been running through that overflow channel, but never seen that amount of water spilling through it. Wonder what year it was.

I guess we could call that waterfall, O’Shaughnessy Falls. wink

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2014 10:13PM by plawrence.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login