Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Trouble on Cathedral Peak

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Trouble on Cathedral Peak
July 20, 2014 08:27AM
Between a rock and the void: 'no-big-deal' heroism
By DAVID WHITING / STAFF COLUMNIST
Published: July 19, 2014 Updated: 9:38 p.m.

YOSEMITE – My climbing team is 700 feet up a granite pinnacle called Cathedral Peak, but above us, just below the peak’s narrow summit, things are falling apart.

A group of three Europeans has climbed far beyond their ability. One climber hollers at her husband that she can’t go any farther and needs to be hauled up – a nearly impossible task.

Her husband yells down that he’s doing all he can, but to be honest, he’s exhausted.

The third member of their party tries to help, but a fall less than an hour earlier broke a rib in two places, and the injury is sending pains shooting like knives through his chest.

I look at the woman directly above. She must make her way through a difficult crack and past an overhang. One slip, and she could knock me off the mountain. The only thing that might save me is the rope into which I am tied.

The minutes stretch into a half-hour and I try to distract myself from a cold wind. I look around, something I’m usually too terrified to do when climbing near-vertical rock.

In the vertical universe, I tend to limit my view to an 8-foot circle, whatever my feet and hands can touch. With snow-covered mountains stretching to the horizon and the green dots of pine trees directly below, the yawning exposure is beautiful and terrifying.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/dennis-629339-one-nooshin.html?page=1
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login