Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Yelling Alvin

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Yelling Alvin
July 20, 2014 11:46AM
Spending the night backpacker camp, there was a continuous chorus of yells coming from the car camp sections - "Alvin"...(or maybe "Albert".)
Not the first timeI have heard this name being called, seemingly out for no good reason.
What's the story?
July 20, 2014 01:46PM
They weren't calling for "Elmer", were they? It seems to be a tradition of sorts in the Pines campgrounds.

I find it kind of annoying, myself. I'll occasionally answer, "WHA-AT?" That seems to confuse them a little. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
July 20, 2014 03:53PM
gophersnake

They weren't calling for "Elmer", were they? It seems to be a tradition of sorts in the Pines campgrounds.

Elmer has been found. Now Alvin is missing. wink

July 20, 2014 04:03PM
The only redeeming aspect of the "Elmer" tradition is that kids get a kick out of it - other than that, it's just annoying - A ranger told me that many years ago a kid named Elmer got lost and his mom went throughout Yosemite campgrounds looking for him yelling out his name - A legend was then born as this became a tradition amongst campers to mimic the mother looking for her son - My understanding is she eventually found him.

Last month at LYV I heard yelling and could have sworn they were doing the "Elmer" routine but then realized they were yelling "Bear!!! Bear!!!"
July 20, 2014 05:14PM
I always thought Elmer was the name of the person who pushed embers over glacier point creating the firefall. A ranger on the ground would call up "Elmer, let the fire fall!" Or so I have been told.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login