Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Just saw Planes: Fire and Rescue

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Just saw Planes: Fire and Rescue
July 29, 2014 11:49AM
My kid wanted to see it (calls it Planes Fire Department) and it was the first time we've ever seen a movie in a movie theater. We did take the kid to baby night at a local theater, but of course how much could an infant remember from being in a movie theater?

The had a fictional "Piston Peak National Park" with the most notable feature being a granite arch that looks like a piston and connecting rod. It's located near the "Fusel Lodge", which is obviously patterned after the Old Faithful Inn, although I don't recall it had a train platform inside nor an aircraft runway in front.

The park was a composite of Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Arches. They use the real National Park Service logo in places. Part of it (regardless of the conceit that vehicles are alive) that shows things like runways in national parks or aerial firefighting crews based in a national park seems to be unrealistic. I've heard of one airport in a national park, maybe some helicopters. As far as I can tell, aerial firefighting is usually sent to national parks from other agencies or rented, although they typically have their own ground-based firefighting crews; the movie had only one fire truck in this fictional park, and its sole job was to protect the lodge. The NPS factsheet on aircraft actually shows a Fish & Wildlife Service helicopter. The end credits indicate the cooperation of NPS, Yosemite, Yellostone, other national parks, the Forest Service, and Cal Fire.

And (SPOILER ALERT) during the end credits they do have an image that looks just like the Death Valley entrance sign.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2014 11:50AM by y_p_w.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login