Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: BOOM!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

September 09, 2014 02:52AM
September 09, 2014 06:48AM
Yowza. Tanks for Sharon

So does that complete The Clark Range?
(seen u go up Gray Peak in July)

Fur me... I still got this one (gotta be Ottoway) still to do...

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 09, 2014 01:47PM
What dramatic, moral-sapping pictures. surely there must be more than trees and brushwood burning there.camera
September 09, 2014 02:05PM
just seen the foxnews item: 'the fire has been smouldering since july.' it looks like it could have begun with the small funnel of smoke that I and others saw in the distance from the top of HD. how do the firefighters feel about the decision (not made by them) to 'let it burn'. am I correct in thinking that this is not the first time that a decision to let a 'controlled' burn has gone tits up?angry smiley
September 09, 2014 06:53PM
Pines, I don't think this was ever a "controlled" burn. It seems they let these (hopefully) natural fires burn until people or structures are threatened. There also seems to be strong support that some of these natural fires rage out of control now because they were suppressed for so many years. I just hope this fire didn't explode because of careless, or worse, humans.
September 09, 2014 09:17PM
Wow...what was it like seeing it take off like that? A combination of frightening and exciting?
September 09, 2014 10:32PM
Yeah - both. I was up on Red Peak the afternoon prior. Saw the plumes of smoke from behind Starr King that had been burning for the last two months - nothing else. It was really windy Saturday night into Sunday. I thought that had sparked up.

The wind had been changing directions fairly dramatically, the typical winds from the west, then winds from the north (high pressure zone up in OR/WA) and next from the south (Mexico hurricane). I was planning on heading up Merced after Ottoway. It went from "hmm" to "holy moley" real fast. Prudence is a acceptable excuse. And an excuse to go back.

I want to give a shout-out to the douchebag impressing his girlfriend with a bonfire at Lower Ottoway Lake. When I greeted you with "nice bonfire!" I was being sarcastic.

That night my AM radio told me the fire was on the other side of the Merced so I should have no problem hiking out. But the other fellow I met (and warned) at Lower Ottoway would be hiking right into it....
September 10, 2014 06:29AM
Nice bonfire. Thanks for reading ur permit.... guess that went in the fire...

Douchebag

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 09, 2014 10:54PM
Let it burn. WILDERNESS
September 09, 2014 11:07PM
I probably come from the other side of the spectrum. When they say "no structures are threatened," I think "drats!" If they let the structures burn and saved the forest, we'd have...

More WILDERNESS!

Maybe we should make like the Indians, burn down Yosemite Valley every fall after we pick the apples, chase the DNC out.
September 10, 2014 01:43AM
If the whole place (Yosemite) burned down, someone somewhere would find something to sell: think of all those bags of charcoal!!Wizard
September 10, 2014 10:35AM
That is an incredible sequence of photos! Thanks for posting.
September 11, 2014 07:47AM
What is the time frame those pictures represent? Minutes, hours, ??
September 11, 2014 11:01AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login