Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Bear Activity Summary

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

September 13, 2014 04:23PM
Bears continue to cause incidents in wilderness areas. A bear obtained food from backpackers that left food in a pack unattended at the Sunrise Creek Junction. Always store food and scented items inside a locked canister while backpacking. Keep camp tidy when cooking so if a bear approaches, it is possible to gather food and lock it in the canister while attempting to scare the bear away.

In Yosemite Valley, bears continue to be active throughout campgrounds and picnic areas. In Tuolumne a bear obtained food after a bear locker was left open. When camping in Yosemite, always keep food within arm’s reach and be sure to securely latch your locker whenever you leave the campsite.

If you see a bear during your visit please report it to the Save-A-Bear Hotline at 209-372-0322.

Place# of IncidentsDamage
Parking Lots1$5
Campgrounds76$1,869
Other Areas25$543
Residential8$863
Wilderness33$2,266
Total143$5,546

Red Bear, Dead Bear: Twenty-two bears have been hit by vehicles this year. Two bears were hit within the past few weeks. Please protect wildlife by obeying speed limits and paying attention while driving.

Interesting Bear Fact: White colored black bears (spirit bears) are 30% more efficient at capturing salmon during the daytime compared to black bears. At night they have a similar rate of success.
avatar Re: Bear Activity Summary
September 26, 2014 08:09AM
I'm somewhat bewildered by the dollar damage indicated for the Wilderness.Confused
September 26, 2014 08:15AM
Locker damage repairs? Broken fences? Stuff like that possibly?
September 26, 2014 11:05AM
Paris92
Locker damage repairs? Broken fences? Stuff like that possibly?

Damaged packs, etc.
September 26, 2014 08:18AM
33 incidents @ less than $70 per incident. That's a ripped-up pack or tent.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
September 26, 2014 10:40AM
That is a whole lot better than the early to mid-nineties. To hike the PCT was to pass many bags hanging from trees with the bottoms ripped out,or nylon ropes with no bag.
When bear canisters first can out I had a bear attack mine for a long time at Kearsarge Lakes. I found it the next morning a few hundred feet below my camp at the side of the lake, scratches all down the sides,
the lid all gouged up (but intact, I keep my food). Another night I had a bear paced just outside of rock throwing distance near my camp all night, seemingly waiting for me to open the bear canister. I didn't eat that night at Grouse Meadows.
One time I got back to Tuolumne Meadows to find the car next to mine broken into by a bear. The back seat ripped out, a child's purple backpack with a box of triskets the seeming target.

There is less drama now days, and my backpacking stories are less interesting to non- hikers, but I don't miss that stuff at all.
September 28, 2014 03:05PM
Bears Descend Into Bakersfield at Historic Rate; Is Drought to Blame?
http://www.californiareport.org/archive/R201409250850/c
September 29, 2014 07:49PM
Yesterday I saw a car with the window missing at the condos at Yosemite West. A mother with two cubs has been seen a lot there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login